Biztalk server 2004 Data Access RRS feed

• Question

• Can I use a Data Access tier without writing a adapter in biztalk 2004 for a receive location???
    Tuesday, April 18, 2006 5:46 AM

All replies

• Well, perhaps you could provide more info about the issue, but you could expose data access tier with web services and use them to "speak" to BTS.
    Tuesday, April 18, 2006 10:42 AM
  • well issue is we claim that our application is database independent so enabling this functionality truly i have to write or buy atleast Two adapters for oracle and DB2 for biztalk 2004 workflows. To avoid this I am thinking about hosting all Data Access Layer on Biztalk Some how. custom adapter(developent and testing cost is high), Soap (is slow) and HTTP (also slow) are all possible solutions. Is there any way to activate your Receive location from a .net assembly's class or to point your rececive port to a .net class???

Tuesday, April 18, 2006 11:03 AM
  • I don't know how without developing a custom adapter. It is true that soap is slow, but do you need a really veryvery fast system? it is slow but not too slow for most of the systems. You could make a façade class to access the DB and expose that façade to BT by web services. It could be very beautiful and you could change from a DB to another without very much cost.
    Tuesday, April 18, 2006 11:09 AM
  • well I am working on Banking trading product that is highly time critical where you are expecting atleast aprox 600 to 800 transactions per hour, Business is very complex it takes its own processing cost. why i am avoiding soap.
    Tuesday, April 18, 2006 11:16 AM
  • looks difficult, perhaps another one could help more...
    Tuesday, April 18, 2006 11:21 AM
  • I would take a look at buying an adapter rather then developing one (take a look for example at Biztalk Utilities  from the Enabler Group)

As for your performance goals - that doesn't sound too much even for Biztalk (800 tx. an hour is less than 1 message per second...) - it sounds than on the proper hardware you shouldn't have a problem using SOAP or HTTP

Arnon

Tuesday, April 18, 2006 2:16 PM
  • Is there any way to activate your Receive location from a .net assembly's class or to point your rececive port to a .net class?

I think it should be possible, but if you really want it? You are building something around Biztalk that you must test and build TDD ;-)  and with performance requirements which you have to test also, this would be more expensive than buy one.

First make a prototype with soap and take a performance test after that take a decision what to do... and do you really need Biztalk?

Tuesday, April 18, 2006 6:13 PM
  • Thnx alot all.

Clemens Reijnen! your question do you really need biztalk? Yes there are three major reasons of chosing biztalk 1- Runtime workflow definations. 2- communication with swift using swift Acclerator. 3- integration with third party systems like Routers other banking components.

Anyhow after all my search and research best and standard way is to use a custom adapter, There is a need of a free adapter that can comunicate a Facade layer that underline can support any DB.

And second best option is Soap.

Regards,

Farukh.

Wednesday, April 19, 2006 5:14 AM