Changing how items render in Workflow Designer VS2010 RRS feed

• Question

• I want to customize the way things render in WF Designer VS2010(RC) but I cannot figure out how or if I can.

I know that there is a theme configuration (Accessible via VS2010 Toos>Options>Workflow Designer>Themes) and the Activity Designer for code-based activities.

First the Theme Configuration doesn't seem to do anything in VS2010. I created a new theme with a different designer bg color and that didn't change anything after opening files (did not restart VS2010).

The Activity Designer is only advertised to create rendering templates for code-based activities.

What I want to do at a minimum is stop the clipping from my custom activity and primitives in the designer; when DisplayName is long it clipped in the work flow designer.

I know wf servics have many benefits when compared with traditional windows services (AppFabric features, WAS, ext.). As someone who does development and buisness analysis, I see workflow as a hybrid between design and implementation. I wish WF4 implementation in VS2010 allowed for basic layout modification like height, width, xy placement, collapse for all elements. It would also be nice to add notes to the workflow like an activity diagram. It would be even better to have VS2010 render workflows for a non-technical audience too.
    • Moved by Andrew_Zhu Friday, March 12, 2010 3:25 AM (From:Windows Workflow Foundation)
    Friday, March 5, 2010 8:18 PM

All replies

• The settings for Workflow Designer Themes in the VS options are for Workflow 3.0/3.5, that's why changing the theme doesn't have any effect for 4.0 workflow. You'll need to create a workflow project targeting .NET Framework3.5/3.0 for it to work.

Regarding customization, I'm afraid that 4.0 workflow designer doesn't provide a mechanism to customize the behavior and appearance of the designer in VS 2010.

Your feedback is well received and will be considered it for the next release. If you have further detail regarding what you're trying to implement and how you want to implement it, feel free to provide it here. That information will help the workflow development team to gain a better understanding of your scenario.

Thanks,
    SGuy
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 2:22 AM