How to take advantage of new features in win8.1 meanwhile the app is workable in win8.0 without those feature

Question

• Hi,

May be i should not ask such a simple question, but am really a little confused.

I have published a app time ago in win8.0. Since the new win8.1 is released and introduced many new features, i want to make some updates to my app. From MSDN, I think I have to target my app to win8.1 in VS2013 and add some new features to it. I also have some bug fixes for the app.  what am not sure is if I upload the new release to the store whether the user who is still using win8.0 can update his app ? Since I introduced some new features into the app, it should not be able to run on win8.0, so should i upload two package ? One for 8.1 and the other for 8.0 ?  

Thank you very much !

Dong. 

Thursday, November 14, 2013 2:02 AM

Answers

• You will need to maintain two versions of the app. You can use Windows 8.1 features only in a Windows 8.1 app. You can upload packages targeting 8.1 and 8.0 with the same ID and users will get whichever one matches the OS they are using.

--Rob

• Marked as answer by wd0623 Thursday, November 14, 2013 3:03 AM
    Thursday, November 14, 2013 2:11 AM
    Owner

All replies

• You will need to maintain two versions of the app. You can use Windows 8.1 features only in a Windows 8.1 app. You can upload packages targeting 8.1 and 8.0 with the same ID and users will get whichever one matches the OS they are using.

--Rob

• Marked as answer by wd0623 Thursday, November 14, 2013 3:03 AM
    Thursday, November 14, 2013 2:11 AM
    Owner

--Rob

Thanks, Rob !

Dong.

Thursday, November 14, 2013 3:03 AM