UPNP Argument RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Alex !

Thanks again for all you help. I manage to go further. The problem of SID (0x80040207) is solved. To help me understand some stuff, I compiled the sample that we can find in the platform SDK (upnp/netds/genericucp). But it seems that there is some trouble with argument of actions. Here what I'm doing :

- Launching GenericUCP.exe

- Start DIscovery (It found a windows media connect server of mine, that is on a computer on the local network)

- I select the following service :  "urn:upnp-org:serviceId:ContentDirectory"

- I type the action I want to invoke (i.e: GetSearchCapabilities)

- I fill in the argument (i.e: SearchCaps)

- I click on the "invoke" button, and I have the following message : Invalid Argument.

When I try to query a Variable (i.e: SearchCapabilities), it works and I receive an answer.

So do you or anybody has an idea of the argument problem ? I tried different format for the argument (SearchCaps, <SearchCaps>, "SearchCaps"... etc) But did'nt manage to make it works. As it is currently the sample provided by microsoft in the platform SDK, without any modificatiopn of mine, It is supposed to work. Well anyway While I'm waiting for any answer, I continue trying stuff.....

Wednesday, July 12, 2006 4:36 PM

Answers

• GetSearchCapabilities does not have any input parameters. Leave action arguments empty. If you want to query the variable - its name is SearchCapabilities
    Thursday, July 13, 2006 1:11 AM

All replies

• GetSearchCapabilities does not have any input parameters. Leave action arguments empty. If you want to query the variable - its name is SearchCapabilities
    Thursday, July 13, 2006 1:11 AM
  • Hi Aex !!!

Thanks for your interest about my problems. I started UPnP programming on windows platform one month ago. I built control point device with discovery functionnality and querying information about the dicovered devices. It took me a week because I didn't know how to use the Microsoft UPnP API. Then when I tryed to register my control point on the computer, in order to be announced to others on the network, I faced a great problem to use the IUPnPRegistrar::RegisterRunningDevice. It returned an E_FAIL which is a non-specified error value. I explain it to the section of microsoft in my country but they said they cannot solve it so they will submit it to microsoft in US. Now the problem is with InvokeAction. I'm going from a bug to another. I made what you tell me to do ( no input argument) but I still have a UPNP_E_INVALID_ARGUMENT error value. Always problem so I want to know if you have already develop a UPNP DEVICE and if it works without a clashing. This is to be quiet and to not want to leave the project. And please if you have the line code of passing argument to the InvokeAction I want to get it. I'm so disheartenned.

Thank you very much.

Thursday, July 13, 2006 10:25 AM
  • I highly recommend obtaining a copy of Platform Builder and using their sample code as a start.

In the meantime one of the common reasons of getting E_FAIL from RegisterRunningDevice is that the device with this UDN has been already registered (or attempted to register and failed). While debugging, either keep restarting or modifying UDN on every call.

Thursday, July 13, 2006 10:47 PM
  • Hi Alex !!!

I did what asked me to do, but it doesn't succeed. Passing arguments in GenericUCP which returned me a UPNP_E_INVALID_ARGUMENTS value now returns me an E_FAIL value. I have no else idea. I will change the UPnP device (I used Windows Media Connect) I will get another version I and retry.

Monday, July 17, 2006 9:25 AM