none
Can I use google map in my windows 8 app with c# and xaml ? RRS feed

• Question

• HI

I am making an app in windows 8 with c# and xaml, my Client is preferring google map but I suggest him for bing map. because I think we have no control  for display google map, Client need any strong reason why we do not use google map.

So I have some questions regarding these, please answer me

1. Bing map is free or paid ?

2. Google Map is free or paid ?

3. We have any control for google map in xaml? or how to display google map in metro app?

4. Which one is easy from both?

please quick reply.

sandeep chauhan

Thursday, November 7, 2013 6:20 AM

Answers

• As Rob mentioned there is no C#/Xaml Google Maps control for Windows 8. That said Bing Maps is a much better option anyways for a number of different reasons. The first is that the free terms of use for Bing Maps in Windows 8 apps is 50,000 transactions a day. This is double the free usage provided by Google. To qualify for the free terms of use your applications has to be available to anyone (free or paid for apps as long as anyone can get access to it), Google only has free usage for free apps, not paid apps. Internal applications (non-public facing apps) require a license in both cases. You would also need a license if your app exceeds the free limits. So from a cost/free usage perspective Bing Maps is the best choice.

From an API perspective Bing Maps is able to geocoder 12%-15% more addresses accurately than Google Maps and is able to do 90% more multi country route calculation than Google. Bing Maps also supports a lot more languages (116).

http://rbrundritt.wordpress.com

Thursday, November 7, 2013 12:33 PM
  • Chances are you aren't using the Bing Maps services correctly and that's why you are seeing it perform less than optimal. The accuracy numbers I mentioned earlier is based on customers who tested over 40 million addresses for which they knew the coordinates for already. Google was only able to geocode 46% of the addresses on the first try where as Bing Maps managed 86%. After a bit of tweaking to the requests Bing Maps managed to geocode 100% of the addresses and Google around 88%. However, scanning some of the results it was found that even though Google returned a result, in some cases the result wasn't even on the right continent.

Note that the Bing Maps REST service defaults to us-En culture. Setting the culture code can make a big difference. Also, encoding your locations also make a big difference. Take a look at this blog post for tips on using the REST services: http://www.bing.com/blogs/site_blogs/b/maps/archive/2013/02/14/bing-maps-rest-service-tips-amp-tricks.aspx

Don't compare the consumer sites (bing.com/maps). These are completely different from the API's. Google's consumer site finds a lot more addresses than their API, where as the Bing Maps API is much better than the consumer site.

Tuesday, November 26, 2013 10:33 AM
  • You'll have to ask Google about Google Maps.

I'll move this to the Bing maps forum for answers to your Bing Mapscquestions.

--Rob

Thursday, November 7, 2013 7:55 AM

All replies

• You'll have to ask Google about Google Maps.

I'll move this to the Bing maps forum for answers to your Bing Mapscquestions.

--Rob

Thursday, November 7, 2013 7:55 AM
  • As Rob mentioned there is no C#/Xaml Google Maps control for Windows 8. That said Bing Maps is a much better option anyways for a number of different reasons. The first is that the free terms of use for Bing Maps in Windows 8 apps is 50,000 transactions a day. This is double the free usage provided by Google. To qualify for the free terms of use your applications has to be available to anyone (free or paid for apps as long as anyone can get access to it), Google only has free usage for free apps, not paid apps. Internal applications (non-public facing apps) require a license in both cases. You would also need a license if your app exceeds the free limits. So from a cost/free usage perspective Bing Maps is the best choice.

From an API perspective Bing Maps is able to geocoder 12%-15% more addresses accurately than Google Maps and is able to do 90% more multi country route calculation than Google. Bing Maps also supports a lot more languages (116).

Thursday, November 7, 2013 12:33 PM
  • I cant accept you saying that the Bing Geo-coder is more accurate. I had to replace our Bing maps geo-code rest service with Google as I found Google more accurate.

I could search my house address in New Zealand using only my street name and number with Google and have perfect results.

I done the same in Bing and I had to specify my City else it would not return any results in my country and give me places in America that don't even match, also a lot of the time it didn't seem to work by giving me no results for an address that was working a few days ago.

Thats just my experience with the two geo-coding services Google > Bing

• Edited by Native Code Monday, November 25, 2013 8:16 PM
    Monday, November 25, 2013 8:15 PM
  • Chances are you aren't using the Bing Maps services correctly and that's why you are seeing it perform less than optimal. The accuracy numbers I mentioned earlier is based on customers who tested over 40 million addresses for which they knew the coordinates for already. Google was only able to geocode 46% of the addresses on the first try where as Bing Maps managed 86%. After a bit of tweaking to the requests Bing Maps managed to geocode 100% of the addresses and Google around 88%. However, scanning some of the results it was found that even though Google returned a result, in some cases the result wasn't even on the right continent.

Note that the Bing Maps REST service defaults to us-En culture. Setting the culture code can make a big difference. Also, encoding your locations also make a big difference. Take a look at this blog post for tips on using the REST services: http://www.bing.com/blogs/site_blogs/b/maps/archive/2013/02/14/bing-maps-rest-service-tips-amp-tricks.aspx

Don't compare the consumer sites (bing.com/maps). These are completely different from the API's. Google's consumer site finds a lot more addresses than their API, where as the Bing Maps API is much better than the consumer site.

Tuesday, November 26, 2013 10:33 AM