none
SB IDE++: It's Here! (Update: 32 bit issues fixed!) RRS feed

• General discussion

• SB IDE++ is finally here! For those of you who haven't been following the development,  the IDE is a replacement for the default Small Basic IDE that allows intermediate/advanced SB developers to use a more advanced IDE to boost productivity and to provide a stepping stone to Visual Studio and other full-featured IDEs. You can download it here: 

http://www.mediafire.com/?l50o156p5yzjkwp (Windows XP/Vista/7/8 64-bit)

http://www.mediafire.com/?f877quefhmgz48c (Windows XP/Vista/7/8 32-bit)

To use it, download the archive and extract it with 7-Zip. Read the license, and if you accept the terms, run "SB IDE++ Loader.exe" to start the IDE. Please note that SB must be installed on your machine for SB IDE++ to run (to eliminate any licensing issues.) There are also many help guides under the "Help Guides" folder or in the IDE "Help" menu.

Here is a gallery of screenshots of the IDE in action: https://plus.google.com/photos/106503937062400751180/albums/5932913540178697873?authkey=CMqFk7G0gsLqNQ

If you have any questions or issues, please feel free to post them on this thread!

Please mark any answers and "vote as helpful" any posts that help you!

Monday, October 14, 2013 11:04 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Just downloaded it and took a look.

Great job! :D I think this will be helpful for many people. What Language did you make this with, may i ask??

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 12:07 AM
  • Glad you like it, 8Bit Pony! The IDE is written in C# and clocks in at about 50,000 lines (including the I/O Extension.)

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 12:10 AM
    Answerer
  • Wow! you sure worked hard on this!

Keep up the great work! ^^

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 12:18 AM
  • IDE++ was placed in the folder Program Files (X86)\Microsoft\SmallBasic after being unzipped. Ran the Loader which asked for the administrator passcode. Something ran, but with no visible displays. Tried to run SB IDE++.exe and nothing happened. Tried to run SB>exe and that program failed. What did I do wrong? Thanks.....
    Tuesday, October 15, 2013 2:47 AM
  • It might be tricky running the program from inside of the SB directory. Can you please try extracting and running it on your Desktop?

If that does not work, please post your system info here (e.g. OS, OS bits, .NET framework version, etc.)

BTW SB.exe crashing is by design. It is not intended to be run from the IDE: it is loaded like a DLL just to call the program import/publish SOAP methods.

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 2:50 AM
    Answerer
  • OS = w7 home premium. Tried running the program from c:\SmallBasicProgs and from e:\SmallBasicProgs ( this being the 64GB flash on which I carry all personal information files. The only place to get any action at all was from Progam Files. There the Reflector did load and run but I understood it not at all. Thanks....
    Tuesday, October 15, 2013 3:21 AM
  • Forgot to mention that I have .NET 3.5, 4.0, 4.5 installed. Tried moving the folder to the desktop. Same performance as before: Reflector loaded, Loader took my admin passcode, and nothing else runs.
    Tuesday, October 15, 2013 4:04 AM
  • @gungan37

First, thanks for a lot of work on SBIDE++ and sharing it.

There's a lot of files in there and lots of duplicates. I wanna keep my system as cleary arranged as possible and will wait for the first start, because there are some questions that concern me:

1. I try to avoid spaces in paths whereever i can and to keep them short. So will it work, when the main folder "SB IDE++ Version 1.0" is renamed to eg. "SmallBasicIDEPP" or "SmallBasicIDEpp1" ?

2. To avoid double files (eg. Extensions) i thought about targeting the "SB IDE++ Version 1.0\lib" (or in case 1. "~\SmallBasicIDEpp1\lib") folder to my "~\Microsoft\Small Basic\lib" folder by a junction ? Can that work?

3. Can you name the minimum of required files for SBIDE++ for proper work ? (eg. w/o IOExtension aso)? I would like to add the rest later then step by step to see what's necessary and increase functionality later then.

Some months before i began translation of "IO Extension.xml" to "IO Extension.De.xml". Not 100% finished yet but i put it here for now and reup it again when the rest is done. IOExtensionDe.zip

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 12:28 PM
    Answerer
  • So sorry it is not working for you, avdiel1946.

Can you please try manually copying the following files from your SB folder to your SB IDE++ folder?

ComponentModel.dll, LanguageService.dll, SB.exe, SmallBasicCompiler.exe, StringResources.dll and ToolFramework.dll

My guess is that the loader is trying to copy these files but does not have permission to do so.

Please post back here and tell me what happens. You can also email me at gungan 37 at gmail dot com if this does not fix your issue.

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 9:38 PM
    Answerer
  • Pappa Lapub:

Glad you like the IDE! Here are the answers to your questions:

(1) Sure, that will should work fine.

(2) This is a great idea and will also work fine. In fact, I considered having the IDE sync the folders every time it is started but decided against doing so to eliminate confusion.

(3) All the files in the root directory are necessary. However, you may delete the plugins folder if you do not wish to use any plugins and you may also delete the lib directory if you do not wish to use extensions, but be warned that this will break the debugger.

Thanks so much for translating the docs to German! I appreciate your work very much.

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 10:11 PM
    Answerer
  • Thanks gungan37 for your detailed answers. I'll prepare as you said and i'm curious to check out SBIDE++.

You'll get fully translated "IO Extension.xml" end of this week.

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 10:50 PM
    Answerer
  • It looks nice gungan. I will try it out in the next days/weeks.

But how about an additional dark design? It is hard for me to work with a so bright design (overall this white colour. It burns in my eyes. ;) )

One more point is the colour of the "Sub", "EndSub" and so on. It could be a little bit darker, too.

But this are not very big problems. I am sure that 99% of the users do not have this problem.

And one question. I found the opption "INsert snippet". But where is the option for "Create new snippet"?

Anyway, it looks nice and powerful. Can't wait to test it out.

EDIT:

Is it possible to deactivate the IO extension? I want to use the form designer, but it looks like it uses the IO extension only. And this bad, because I want to update one of my snippets with a graphical interface but without an extension.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen Timo Greetings Timo

• Edited by Timo Sö Thursday, October 17, 2013 9:50 AM
    Thursday, October 17, 2013 9:45 AM
  • Hi Timo!

I will develop a plugin you can put in your plugin folder to change the IDE and syntax highlighting colors. I will try to have it done by sometime next week.

The IOForm Designer uses the IO Extension exclusively since it contains so many controls (more than 20) but you can use whatever extension you want or just the default Small Basic library when making snippets. The designer is just a part of the IDE (not directly related to snippets.)

Thursday, October 17, 2013 9:39 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi gungan

Wow. 50,000 lines. Thanks for sharing that. I've read that any sort of serious software application runs into 10's of thousands of lines. And your bio says you learnt to program with Small Basic. Inspiring.

Does Visual Studio/C# have features that make it easier/possible to manage that much code?

What's the biggest Small Basic Program you've seen?

And hope you don't mind me asking: how long have you been programming for?

Friday, October 18, 2013 2:11 AM
  • I tried SBIDE++ , and graduate to C#.  It worked perfectly!!

Very nice!! , usefull. 

* Graduate to VB also worked perfectly!!
    Friday, October 18, 2013 2:19 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi Jibba Jabba!

Visual Studio definitely makes it easier to manage so much code. For starters, all the code is not crammed into one file (the IDE contains about 500 files of C# code.) Also, each of those files is spread out in 27 projects (groups of C# code files that are compiled into one EXE of DLL.)  

The biggest SB program I have ever seen was a program I wrote to control game console emulators (~2500 LOC), but I am sure someone can top that.

I started learning SB in the summer of 2010 and began learning C# in the winter of 2011 , so I had 2.5 years of programming experience and 1.5 years of C# experience when I started the IDE.

Friday, October 18, 2013 2:32 AM
    Answerer
  • The 32-bit issues are now fixed (thanks to beta tester Jibba Jabba!) Refer to the main post for updated download links.

Saturday, October 19, 2013 5:44 PM
    Answerer
  • Hello all and to avdiel1946

Just downloaded from the new link (updated 1st post this thread) the 32 bit version.

All good. Clicked-Clicked the "SB IDE++ Loader" application file and it ran 1st time no issues.

Thanks gungan for developing this seriously useful application.

I wish it had of been a readily available option when I first discovered Small Basic as it would've been a perfect fit for my needs.

Saturday, October 19, 2013 7:16 PM
  • Great done gungan37. Works like a charm now and YOU MADE MY DAY!!

So "SB IDE++.exe.config" !

Thanks.

I'm checkin' it out right now.

But i'm so glad it works and don't wanna make any mistake, so i'll better ask before:

1.  Is is save to delete all the three *64*.dll files (7z64.dll, Hunspellx64.dll, SciLexer64.dll) from main directory and scilexer64.dll from system32 (on 32bit machine) ??

2.  Can i start "SB IDE++ Loader.exe" with an argument like "SB IDE++ Loader.exe" [Path\]File.sb ?? and assoc it with .sb or .smallbasic ??

3.  Most of the IntelliSense help is in german now. But it seems (means i'm sure) that the Keywords and ErrorMessages aren't read from the SmallBasicLibrary.xml (which i replaced with my SmallBasicLibrary.De.xml). So is there a way to make them show in german too (maybe an extra .xml file) ??

4.  Could'nt find an editable 'text'file, that provides the language for the GUI. So is any workaround to show the GUI in native language ??

It may take a while, but i'll begin translation of the Help Guides\*.mht 's (if that makes sense ?) and send them one by one.

Saturday, October 19, 2013 10:30 PM
    Answerer
  • Glad you are happy with it, Pappa Lapub!

(1) It should be fine to delete those files

(2) You can pass these arguments to SB IDE++.EXE like this:

SBIDE++.EXE -CHAINLOAD "filepath"

(the loader just checks that all prerequisite files are where they need to be, but you can skip the loader if you use the -CHAINLOAD argument)

(3) Sorry, I implemented the .**.xml trick for extensions but forgot to do so for the default Small Basic library. This is now on my to-do list.

(4) There is no multilanguage for the support for the IDE itself yet. This is also on my to-do list.

Thanks for your help with translations! I will work on Spanish translations when I have some time.

Saturday, October 19, 2013 10:38 PM
    Answerer
  • Gracias por la ayuda rápida.

Saturday, October 19, 2013 11:06 PM
    Answerer
  • Downloaded into Downloads folder, uncipped it, and ran it. Worked fine except that the program that I loaded did not run. Error message said that the compiler did not load. The IDE looks beautiful. Look forward to using it.
    Tuesday, July 11, 2017 9:06 PM
  • I guess that you use Small Basic 1.2

But all of the following files under your "SB IDE++.exe" base folder (+ sub folders) have to be
    from SmallBasic 1.0:

COMPONENTMODEL.DLL
    LANGUAGESERVICE.DLL
    SB.EXE
    SMALLBASICCOMPILER.EXE
    SmallBasicLibrary.dll
    STRINGRESOURCES.DLL
    TOOLFRAMEWORK.DLL

To replace them, you can download Microsoft Small Basic 1.0 , extract the installer with eg. lessmsi and overwrite those files.

PS: For clearness: DONT change anything under your current SmallBasic 1.2 install folder!!

Tuesday, July 11, 2017 10:01 PM
    Answerer
  • Hello, Cannot make it work with SB 1.2. Anyway someone can upload a working version?

Thank you very much

Saturday, November 24, 2018 5:19 PM
  • It's not relevant which version of SB you have installed, SB-IDE++ only needs the correct libraries from SB v1.0,

You may look at this thread here: SB IDE++

NOTE: SB-IDE++ is OLD and OUTDATED, NOT SUPPORTED any more and has some bugs.

You should see here New SB-IDE (SB-Prime) and use LitDev's SBPrime instead (which was also inspired by SBIDE++)

Small Basic Prime 1.1.6 (TechNet)

Extended Small Basic Development Environment (LitDev)

Saturday, November 24, 2018 7:11 PM
    Answerer
  • It's not relevant which version of SB you have installed, SB-IDE++ only needs the correct libraries from SB v1.0,

You may look at this thread here: SB IDE++

NOTE: SB-IDE++ is OLD and OUTDATED, NOT SUPPORTED any more and has some bugs.

You should see here New SB-IDE (SB-Prime) and use LitDev's SBPrime instead (which was also inspired by SBIDE++)

Small Basic Prime 1.1.6 (TechNet)

Extended Small Basic Development Environment (LitDev)

Thank you very much

Sunday, November 25, 2018 6:27 PM