none
Content Type is part of an application feature RRS feed

• Question

• Trying to delete a content type, I get an error that it cannot be deleted because it is part of an application feature. Is there any good way to find out which feature it is associated with?
    Monday, March 13, 2017 3:44 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Is it a custom content type?

Generally, if it is not created manually, a custom content type is provisioned by feature which is deployed with custom solution. To find out which feature it is associated with, there is no direct way currently, we have to check the documentations of the custom solutions for an answer.

As an alternative, you can also try deleting this content type via PowerShell:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/ac93814c-d29f-4bf6-9303-c52ae7ccbaf5/powershell-how-to-delete-a-content-type-which-is-a-part-of-application-feature?forum=sharepointadmin

Best regards,

Patrick

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, March 15, 2017 9:24 AM
  • Thanks.

I exported the SchemaXml via PowerShell, and edited it to be readable. It seems that the content type picked up information about Nintex Workflow. I can only assume that it did this when we added workflows to the List that used this content type.

I will test that theory next, by creating a content type, in a site collection with Nintex Workflow feature enabled. I will then export the SchemaXml. If it contains the reference, then it picks it up from the site collection. If it does not, I will use the content type in a list with no workflows and repeat the process. If it has the reference, then it has picked it up by being used, even though no workflows are associated with the list. Finally, I will add a simple workflow, lather, rinse, repeat.

Friday, March 17, 2017 6:46 PM