Mouse Gestures vs Flipping in Windows Developer Preview

General discussion

• Please don't 'flip' me off!

I've just watched a video at this URL...

http://bit.ly/iH0wN8

I then spent the last hour or so trying to replicate Jensen's gestures with my mouse.
    I never understood a tunneling diode, but I was soon understanding carpal tunnel.

That 'pause for a second and snap it into place'  split screen....impossible
    Getting the on-screen keyboard with a mouse gesture....impossible.

Well at least it was for me.

What I saw with his  flipping in the presentation was incredible and I'd love a desktop OS
    as shown in that presentation.  But alas, though I can 'touch' the screen with my mouse pointer
    it does nothing like what was demonstrated with his middle finger.  Which leads me to the point
    of this whole post.

Why can't the mouse pointer BE a finger???
    or
    Why ISN'T the mouse pointer a finger???

Sunday, January 29, 2012 4:46 AM

All replies

• I then spent the last hour or so trying to replicate Jensen's gestures with my mouse.

Why can't the mouse pointer BE a finger???
    or
    Why ISN'T the mouse pointer a finger???

How wide is your monitor?   FWIW the only Snap to effect I can achieve on my Tablet (1.6 ratio) is to slightly reduce the size of the app and give it a border before it switches to another one.  OTOH if I move the Start Screen to my secondary monitor (1.77 ratio) I can reproduce the Snap to effect on it but because that monitor is not a Touch screen I necessarily have to do that with my mouse.   So I think provided your screen size is big enough you can do what you want.

---

Sunday, January 29, 2012 1:32 PM
  • Hello windunce,

There are going to be differences using the mouse versus a touch screen in Windows Developer Preview.

One thing I suggest is to make sure that you have the latest Windows 7 drivers installed for your mouse.
    You might also install the drivers in Windows 7 compatiblity mode to see if that helps.

When you are using your mouse, to get thumbnails to appear, hover your mouse against the left edge of the screen and then you can click and drag the thumbnail to have the app appear on the full screen. You can also cycle thru thumbnails of all of the open apps by bouncing your mouse on the left edge of the screen to cycle thru the thumbnails of apps that are currently running.

When you are trying to snap using a mouse, do not lift your mouse from the thumbnail on the screen. When you lift your finger from the mouse while on the thumbnail, the app will then be the snapped app. 

You might also look at the following discussion threads about using the mouse in Windows Developer Preview.
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsdeveloperpreviewgeneral/thread/4f221ec3-c2b8-4854-912f-6f5b610369b2

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsdeveloperpreviewgeneral/thread/e9cf158b-f6f6-40a0-9185-1bca10955b6e

Thanks,

Marilyn
    Sunday, January 29, 2012 7:30 PM
  • I have an Acer X233H with a 16:9 [1.77] running at 1920x1080. Still no luck trying to replicate Jensen's gestures

using my mouse pointer. Maybe there is a switch that I am overlooking and haven't enabled. Since day one, 1988, I've

always disliked scroll bars and used Page Up and Page Down when applicable. Finally [I thought] no more scroll bars,

I can [no click&hold] drag my way around the OS/App screens with my mouse pointer. But thusfar I haven't figure out

how to enable my mouse pointer replicate fingering to flip through the screen.

It someone fingers it out, let me know!

Sigh

Windunce

Sunday, January 29, 2012 7:30 PM
  • Cross pollination! How did you get on top of me Marilyn???

It clearly states that I posted 6 hours 48 minutes ago and
    that you posted 6 hours 49 minutes ago! ha ha

Anyways, I did check the driver for my mouse in Device Manager
    and "Windows determined that the driver software for your device is up to date."

Futhermore, I read the two threads that you reference in your post.
    Very informative, as was your initial sentence.

"There are going to be differences using the mouse versus a touch screen in Windows Developer Preview."

For I DID NOT KNOW THAT! Now I do, so I will stop all my efforts to replicate Jensen's gestures
    with my mouse. Though I shan't shout out VIVA LA DIFFERNCE!

I'll simply wonder for a bit why there IS a difference, then move on to experimenting with
    tasks that are possible in the new OS.

Thanks again for giving me pause and stopping my futile efforts at making my mouse pointer a finger!
    Heading back to having fun. 

Bye
    Windunce

Monday, January 30, 2012 2:40 AM
  • I have an Acer X233H with a 16:9 [1.77] running at 1920x1080. Still no luck trying to replicate Jensen's gestures

using my mouse pointer.

@ Windunce

That's the same ratio (and resolution) than I have on my secondary monitor.   Are you getting the thumbnail before you try dragging it?  Apparently you can also right-click on that and get a Snap to menu instead.   If you have more than 2 apps open you can also try using your Mouse wheel to spin the thumbnails through the list.   I can even do that on my Tablet.

For related threads do a search of this forum for:

mouse drag thumbnail

Perhaps you are having the same problem that this user had?  However, in that case I notice the screen ratio (1.6) would not have allowed the Snap to feature, (based on my experience with my Tablet.)

Good luck

Robert
    ---

Monday, January 30, 2012 4:51 PM