Invoke workflow from another workflow RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    just a quickie. How can I invoke one workflow from another without creating a circular dependency?

Thanks,
    Oli
    Friday, August 15, 2008 6:03 PM

Answers

• Hello Oli,

To invoke a workflow from another workflow, you can use the InvokeWorkflow activity.

There are no circular dependency problem. The child workflow doesn't have to know about its parent.

Hope this helps.
    Saturday, August 16, 2008 11:06 AM

All replies

• Hello Oli,

To invoke a workflow from another workflow, you can use the InvokeWorkflow activity.

There are no circular dependency problem. The child workflow doesn't have to know about its parent.

Hope this helps.
    Saturday, August 16, 2008 11:06 AM
  • Thanks Benoit.....I guess I should learn to use my eyes!!
    Saturday, August 16, 2008 11:12 AM
  • Is it possible for the invoked workflow to return to its parent workflow after it is done?
    Friday, August 22, 2008 11:01 AM
  • Have a look at Jon Flanders' blog post & code for a CallWorkflowActivity that runs synchronously.

Hope this helps,
    Pete.
    Friday, August 22, 2008 2:07 PM
  • The strategy we took for allowing child workflows to communicate back to the parent was to create the concept of a workflow stack, where any workflow can call another workflow, the new workflow gets added to the stack, and when any workflow completes it checks the stack to see if a previous workflow needs to be notified. It's actually worked out very well for us since we pass around the same data object through multiple workflows to promote reusability in our code base.

Monday, August 25, 2008 3:36 PM