Using Browse Screen with DTOs/ViewModels for Add and Edit operations? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a Browse screen that displays CustomerDTO entities through a query named "CustomerDTOs".  A CustomerDTO contains a subset of a Customer entity's fields.  It is shaped by a RIA datasource.  So, the browse screen displays the CustomerDTO entities by using the CustomerDTODataSource (RIA).  It properly displays the dtos when the screen is opened.  I have created  AddEdit and View screens for a Customer. 

Let's say that a Customer has these fields:
    CustomerId
    FirstName
    Address

Let's say that a CustomerDTO has these fields:
    Id
    FirstName

What I need to figure out is the following:

When a user clicks on a CustomerDTO on the browse screen, I want to open the ViewCustomer screen, so the customer can review all of the fields in the Customer that is related to the CustomerDTO.  The CustomerDTO has an Id field, which is the same as the CustomerId in the Customer entity.  I don't want the customer to View, Add, or Edit the CustomerDTO entities.  On the view Customer screen is an Edit button, which when clicked, will permit the user to edit the Customer, as usual.

I am sure that this is easy, but I am new to LS and have not been able to figure it out.  I hope that your suggestions will put me on the right path.  As a newbie, detailed help will be appreciated. :)

Thank you for your time and help,

Mike

Friday, July 19, 2013 5:19 PM

All replies

• ... Isn't anyone else using DTOs/ViewModels on a browse screen?
    Monday, July 22, 2013 8:27 PM