Windows Server 2016 | Docker Swarm | Network Adapter Issues | Restarting docker service on a Windows Server 2016 VM docker swarm manager with a connected worker node throws the swarm manager out of network. RRS feed

• Question

• Problem: Restarting docker service on a Windows Server 2016 VM docker swarm manager with a connected worker node throws the swarm manager out of network.

Expected Behavior: Windows Server 2016 VM networks should work fine.

Analysis -

Windows Server 2016 VM has an existing (Switch Type External) Ethernet network adapter.

docker creates a new Internal vEthernet (HNS Internal NIC ) Network adapter

Initializing docker swarm creates another new vEthernet (HNSTransparent) network adapter which actually copies IPv4 properties of existing external Ethernet network adapter and unchecks the IPV4 Properties of exisinting external Ethernet network adapter.

Now restarting docker service throws the Docker Swarm Manager server out of the network unless the vEthernet (HNS Transparent) is disabled and original External Ethernet network adapter has the IPV4 properties checked and restored.

Requesting help on this issue.

Tuesday, July 2, 2019 12:20 PM

All replies

• Did you check behaior on Windows 2019? There were a bunch of changes done to networking stack in 2019 (it's even supported on Kubernetes 1.14 now). 

Tuesday, July 2, 2019 6:06 PM
  • Hi @artisticcheese i have not yet checked the behavior on Windows 2019. Will surely check that out but for now only Windows Server 2016 are available to me for use and I am facing these issues. Just wondering if there is any way to fix this.
    Wednesday, July 3, 2019 7:33 AM