Screen Capture With Overlay RRS feed

• Question

• I need to overlay an image on the desktop while I am capturing screenshots of the entire desktop. In my capture, I do not want the overlay to be seen. How can I achieve this?

It needs to be fast enough so that I can capture the desktop like video. It also needs to be robust across hardware and versions of Windows (Win XP/Win 7 and up).

When you capture the screen using BitBlt, the mouse cursor doesn't get captured. Somehow it is composited at a later stage of rendering which goes to the display, but BitBlt happens at an earlier stage of rendering. I need something similar, but instead of the mouse cursor, I want to overlay my custom image which doesn't get returned in BitBlt.

Thanks!

Monday, November 24, 2014 5:14 PM

All replies

• Hello rldsouza,

I am not sure if you want to development an application which could achieve your requirements using some APIs or want to get some tools.

If it is the former, you could check the Windows.Media.Capture API which could capture the audio and video playing on the device by using the ScreenCapture object.

If it is the later, the Snipping Tool seems to meet your requirement, in its opinions, uncheck the “Show screen overlay when Snipping Tool is active”, then when you use it to capture screenshots, the overlay to be seen.

If you are asking for an application, however, this is beyond the scope of our support.

Regards.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, November 25, 2014 8:08 AM