none
Grip recognition when Kinect is mounted at ceiling RRS feed

• Question

• We have tried to setup Kinect at the ceiling so it is somewhat looking downward. We found under this condition that Grip is not so accurate. Have any one encountered this problem and got some solutions?
    Tuesday, July 8, 2014 7:19 AM

All replies

• Interactions library has a dependency on Skeletal tracking(ST), in addition to depth and color. For ST to work, the Kinect must be mounted on a level horizontal surface because its trained to detected people facing the camera. ST must have clear view of the head and both shoulders for the user to establish a lock-on.

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Tuesday, July 8, 2014 5:28 PM
  • Thanks for reply!

I see many applications which has Kinect setup very high. In such case, even if we set Kinect on a horizontal surface we should rotate the angle to make Kinect look downward, right? In our test (Kinect is about 2-meter high and angle is at least-10 degree) head and both shoulders can be clearly viewed, however Grip gesture is not accurately recognized. Sometimes an "open palm" is wrongly recognized as "Grip", and sometimes a "close palm" is not recognized as "Grip". 

Wednesday, July 9, 2014 5:55 AM
  • If it is mounted horizontal and you are using the api's to set the elevation angle? You have not aimed the sensor manually correct? 

There may be other factors such as IR interference that is also affecting what is happening. Have you used the IR viewer to see if there are other IR sources that are getting picked up. Are you using the gesture sample or your own code? Have you applied any other filtering to the data such as Skeleton smoothing?

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Wednesday, July 9, 2014 10:49 PM
  • I used Kinect Explorer-WPF in Kinect for Windows Developer Toolkit 1.8 to set the elevation angle and tried ControlBasics-WPF which supports Grip gesture.

I tested in indoor office cubic.

Thursday, July 10, 2014 5:18 AM