none
Deactivate "Share Resources" button in ribbon RRS feed

• Question

• I've created a macro to connect to our resource pool and to force our PMs to use this macro, I'd like to disable the "Share Resources" button on the Resource ribbon when the file containing the macro.

I can find help on how to disable custom buttons, but not how to disable MSPs standard buttons.

As always: Thanks for the help!

Andre

• Edited by Huismu5 Friday, December 22, 2017 4:01 PM
    Thursday, December 21, 2017 12:24 PM

Answers

• Andre,

Unfortunately you can't disable default ribbon commands. But if you already have a macro that connects to the correct pool then I don't understand the issue. Is there more than one resource pool at your company? Are some pools "good" and other "not good"?

As long as your macro is set up to run with an Open event, then the correct pool will be selected. If for some reason you have some rogue PMs that want to connect to another pool, training is the most viable option along with perhaps some audit routines to check for compliance.

John

• Marked as answer by Huismu5 Sunday, December 24, 2017 6:00 AM
    Friday, December 22, 2017 5:48 PM

All replies

• Andre,

Since your two posts are related, I'll give an answer in the later post.

John

Thursday, December 21, 2017 2:41 PM
  • Hi John,

Thanks for your help on the other topic. However, the macro I mentioned above helps the PM to connect to the default resource pool in our company and warns him/her if another pool is selected. I.e. I would really like to "force" the PMs to use the macro and not MSPs own share resources button.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Andre 

Friday, December 22, 2017 4:04 PM
  • Andre,

Unfortunately you can't disable default ribbon commands. But if you already have a macro that connects to the correct pool then I don't understand the issue. Is there more than one resource pool at your company? Are some pools "good" and other "not good"?

As long as your macro is set up to run with an Open event, then the correct pool will be selected. If for some reason you have some rogue PMs that want to connect to another pool, training is the most viable option along with perhaps some audit routines to check for compliance.

John

• Marked as answer by Huismu5 Sunday, December 24, 2017 6:00 AM
    Friday, December 22, 2017 5:48 PM
  • Thanks John, it's unfortunate that one cannot customize the ribbon through VBA (on startup).

For the record, we have no rogue PMs (only clumsy ones). We have three portfolios in our company, each with their own resource pool. My macro takes several of the project file properties and then selects the default pool for the portfolio the project is a part of. It reduces the chance of error. Especially important since divorcing a project from a pool is such a pain.

Andre

• Edited by Huismu5 Sunday, December 24, 2017 6:11 AM
    Sunday, December 24, 2017 6:08 AM
  • Andre,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.

Unfortunately the current ribbon style user interface cannot be easily customized like the old menu driven interface. I have no idea why but I guess the powers that be at Microsoft decided they wanted more exclusive control of the default interface.

John

Sunday, December 24, 2017 7:55 PM