none
Barcodes won't print in or export from Reporting Services RRS feed

• Question

•  

I am trying to print Reporting Services reports with a Code39 TrueType barcode font - the reports render and print correctly in Visual Studio 2005, but when I publish the reports to a report server, the reports render properly, but don't print or export to .pdf properly. What I get is the literal data as entered in the fields of the report, e.g. *12345* instead of a barcode. The barcode font is properly installed on the report server (if this is even necessary). Very frustrating. Help!
    Friday, February 8, 2008 2:14 PM

Answers

•  

Case closed - reporting services can't embed fonts in pdf's. See www.idautomation.com/kb/reporting_services_pdf.html
    Wednesday, February 20, 2008 4:28 PM

All replies

• Does the client machine have the font installed? I find the client machine needs the font otherwise the bar codes won't show.
    Friday, February 8, 2008 7:05 PM
  • Yes, the barcode font is also installed on the client machine. I have uninstalled & reinstalled them, figuring it was maybe a registration problem. But, the problem persists.

Monday, February 11, 2008 2:41 PM
  • there is any way to embed the font in the pdf or excell export??
    Monday, February 11, 2008 4:47 PM
  • I don't know, without looking closer at it. The standard Reporting Services functions SHOULD work. I'd hate to have to reinvent them.

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 4:39 PM
  •  

Case closed - reporting services can't embed fonts in pdf's. See www.idautomation.com/kb/reporting_services_pdf.html
    Wednesday, February 20, 2008 4:28 PM
  • I can export my report with code39 bar codes to pdf and it prints fine. I know that my server and client machines both have the font installed.
    I'm working on a custom component to create images of the bar codes dynamically using a field returned from my query so that I can eliminate the need for the font on client machines.

I can email you my pdf if you'd like to see it.
    Wednesday, February 20, 2008 5:33 PM
  • woah, before I send the pdf anywhere, it needs further investigtion...
    The bar codes scan fine but, the pdf export is not inline with the actual report.
    The column with the bar codes are not in their correct row!
    The report is correct when viewing normally in the web front end but after exporting, the bar code column is a row off! And some didn't even show up...very strange.
    Wednesday, February 20, 2008 6:48 PM
  • Similiar problem here. But with a strange scenario. a) Using Barcode39 . Deploy report to my development PC's IIS5. Log in from any client PC to my development PC report server and run the report. Barcode prints 100%. Deploy report to production server. Barcode displays 100% but print normal character set i.e. *1234*. Print barcode from other applications(i.e. Excel) on production server works 100%. Log onto production server and print report directly from IE on production server. Prints 100%.

Will restart production server tonight and see if that maybe sort the problem out. Will post follow op......Can't find any solutions on Web so far....

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 10:31 AM
  • Follow up on previous day problem. The server restarted and today all barcodes are printing fine. Will still go through event log and see if I can find reason for the initial problem. Suspect security issue on aspnet user using the font ?(our favourite IIS culprit). 

The moral of the story. 1) you can use a barcode font on SQL reporting services without buying expensive controls or implementing complicated code. 2) I am using this on an intranet where I am sure the font is on both the server and client. Behaviour on extranet is unknown at this stage. 3) I have been using a free code 39 (be always cautious of licence restrictions by supplier)

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 6:30 AM
  • Another way to sort out this issue is,

In report use a third part tool: http://www.technoriversoft.com/barcode_reporting_services.html

Write code in report. Drag a image control and use the written function as code property for this image. This will make the report server to convert the bar code into image and then download to local machine. By this way, we don't need bar code at client machine.

Ramkumar.

Sunday, May 11, 2014 3:43 AM