Can you make a small Flip Tile? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I've successfully created a medium sized Flip Tile using XML in the WMAppManifest.xml below:

<Tokens>
          <PrimaryToken TokenID="WizardsChoiceToken" TaskName="_default">
            <TemplateType5>
              <BackgroundImageURI IsRelative="true" IsResource="false">Background.png</BackgroundImageURI>
              <Count>0</Count>
              <Title>Zombie High Vol 4</Title>
              <BackBackgroundImageUri IsRelative="true" IsResource="false">BackgroundBack.png</BackBackgroundImageUri>
              <BackTitle>Zombie High Vol 4</BackTitle>
            </TemplateType5>
          </PrimaryToken>
        </Tokens>

Is there a way to make a *small* Flip Tile? So when the user pins the Tile to the Start Screen they get the medium sized one, but then they have the option of making it small. Can you make this small version flip between two images like you can for medium?

I've hunted around the docs and haven't seen examples. In addition, looking at the small tiles on my phone from first tier applications, I've noticed none of them use the flip functionality on their Tiles and so either it's not a recommended practice or it can't be done. 

Also, can you specify the small Tile image in the WMAppMangifest.xml file? I haven't seen an example. I want my game to be compatible with 7.1 and 8 and I don't think small icons were even in 7.1. From what I understand, 7.1 only supports TemplateType5 and it appears that template does not allow you to specify the small icon image. I'm wondering if I could use another template to do that, but again, it can't bust my 7.1 customers.

Thanks,

Sam

Thursday, December 12, 2013 5:25 AM

Answers

• The key difference between Windows Phone OS 7.1 and Windows Phone 8 Tiles is that Windows Phone OS 7.1 offers only one Tile template. This template is called TileTemplate5, and maps to the flip template in Windows Phone 8. TileTemplate5 is only available in one size, which maps to the medium size in Windows Phone 8.

In short, you can have only one flip tile for Windows Phone OS 7.1 where as you can have three different sized flip tiles for Windows Phone OS 8

• Marked as answer by snoutholder Thursday, December 12, 2013 6:39 PM
    Thursday, December 12, 2013 6:25 AM
  • The key difference between Windows Phone OS 7.1 and Windows Phone 8 Tiles is that Windows Phone OS 7.1 offers only one Tile template. This template is called TileTemplate5, and maps to the flip template in Windows Phone 8. TileTemplate5 is only available in one size, which maps to the medium size in Windows Phone 8.

In short, you can have only one flip tile for Windows Phone OS 7.1 where as you can have three different sized flip tiles for Windows Phone OS 8

Thanks for the info, does that help to know if the small tile flips?

http://pauliom.wordpress.com

• Marked as answer by snoutholder Thursday, December 12, 2013 6:38 PM
    Thursday, December 12, 2013 6:33 AM

All replies

• No, the small tile does not flip or animate in any way. You can change the pic and message count.

• Edited by pkr2000 Thursday, December 12, 2013 6:22 AM
    Thursday, December 12, 2013 6:21 AM

• Marked as answer by snoutholder Thursday, December 12, 2013 6:39 PM
    Thursday, December 12, 2013 6:25 AM

Thanks for the info, does that help to know if the small tile flips?

• Marked as answer by snoutholder Thursday, December 12, 2013 6:38 PM
    Thursday, December 12, 2013 6:33 AM
  • Yes, this is helpful. I currently use TileTempate5 to flip a medium sized Tile so I guess I have as much as I can for 7.1. It's not super important, but I'd like to specify a different background image for my small tile so that if my user is on 8, they can use it, but if they're on 7.1, there will be no effect (fail gracefully). 

I'm guessing this just isn't really supported. Looking at the definition of the templates that come with a 7.1 project for the WMAppManifest.xml, there's no template for small Tiles. On the other hand, if I create a new project and target it to 8, there's a convenient UI for specifying small tiles (and much more) for the WMAppManfiest.

In summary, I think in order to stay backward compatible with 7.1, the only live tile I can have is medium and I cannot specify the small version of the Tile, rather, I just have to deal with the default behavior which is a smaller version of the medium Tile.

Thursday, December 12, 2013 6:38 PM
  • NO! Look at the sticky pages. You can detect the version and the use the correct tile. Sure you'll have to specify an start tile but once in the app you can change the tile version.

Thursday, December 12, 2013 9:15 PM