none
Windows 8.1 App Package - Sideload Validation

Question

• Hi,

We are developing a Windows 8.1 Application using JavaScript and HTML 5. As we are not planning to publish this App into windows store, we are using windows side loading feature to install to the App to different machines. 

Now we have a acquirement that the application should be installed to a machine only if succeed some validations.

The required validation are to check username/password (through a web service call), accept terms and conditions etc. If this validations are failing then prevent the user from installation.

Can you please suggest us on how to include these validation features in to Application Package?

Thanks in advance.

Tuesday, June 14, 2016 10:01 AM

All replies

• Hi Shino K,

Since your question was validation when side-load UWP app. It’s not a development issue, I would move it to “Publishing windows store app” for a better support.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Xavier Eoro

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, June 15, 2016 6:14 AM
  • Hi Shino,

The only way I could see you doing this is to have the validation done on a PC that distributes the application. You could then use the WinAppDeploy tool (info here: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt203806.aspx) to distribute the application from the PC to the phone if the installer meets the requirements to install the application.

If you want to do the validation on the phone side before the application is installed, I cannot think of any tools to do this today.

Alternatively, you could look at using HockeyApp to distribute the application. You can specify which users can install the application from HockeyApp, and only those users who meet the requirements can install the app. https://hockeyapp.net/features/

Sincerely,

Daniel

Wednesday, June 22, 2016 6:00 PM