Internet Explorer not working, It's has blank green screen. It worked before for couple of weeks

Question

• Hi all,

My internet explorer was not working now. Please any one can help me? If I start IE, It goes to a blank green screen only,  I am developing a silverlight project on Visual studio 11 Developer preview on Win8.

Jannen Siahaan - Indonesia
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 10:56 PM

Answers

• Go to desktop. Open Internet Explorer.
    Click on tools at the top right hand side of page.
    Go to Advanced tab.
    At the bottom of the page under Reset Iinternete Explorere settings, click on Reset.

Then try again and see if you still are experiencing issues with the Metro Internet Explorer and desktop version.

Let us know the results.

Marilyn
    • Marked as answer by humaNiT Friday, November 18, 2011 12:29 AM
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 3:16 AM
  • temporarily you might want to install a previous version of ie till the problem can be solved. 

That would be nice.   How would one do that?   E.g. I'm assuming that IE10 is W8's base browser functionality in the same way that IE8 was W7's,  IE7 was Vista's, IE6.2 was XPsp2's, IE5.5 was W98SE's and in none of them could we simply reinstall IE or go back to an earlier version.  In fact, after XP there wasn't even a (purported) general purpose repair tool for IE any more (such as it was in earlier versions, useful or not.)  

RIES is not the desired general purpose repair tool for IE either but fortunately it seems to help in the vast majority of cases.   Also, note that RIES is not dependent on being able to start IE either, since it can be done using the Control Panel's Internet Options applet.   Or more directly via Run...

control.exe  inetcpl.cpl,,6

The only other repair tool we have is Kai's cmd file and I have no idea how much of it will still be effective in an IE10 environment.   It seems each time another IE Cumulative Security update comes out some function that that tool depends on is removed or disabled so I can only imagine what will be left for it to use in IE10.   ; ]

In fact, there would be one other way that they might have addressed this deficiency which I haven't yet tested in W8.   W8's  Windows Features  tool apparently still allows  IE  to be unchecked just as W7's does.   In W7 there is a great deal of grinding and then a reboot to get that done.  (BTW I'm not sure one needed to have a second browser on hand to undo that but FWIW I had Google Chrome available JIC. <W>)  Unfortunately there is not a similar amount of grinding or a reboot to undo it, leading me to guess that all that probably happens is a backing up of old (broken) registry values and a later restore of the same values unchanged.  In any case AFAIK it is not our long sought EFFECTIVE general purpose IE Repair Tool either.

So I suspect we are still stuck with patchwork repair when it comes to IE10 too but I would love to be proved wrong.  I have been putting off an analysis using ProcMon to find out what is really accomplished by each procedure.   Maybe I'll finally get it done under W8.

FYI

Robert
    ---

• Marked as answer by humaNiT Friday, November 18, 2011 12:28 AM
    Thursday, November 17, 2011 4:15 PM

All replies

• I have had this issue for the launch in the new apps but I am still able to launch from the desktop.

when I last had this problem I found a link app that was tying up IE . the app label said start here.

when I opened the app there was an error prompt. when I cleared the error prompt it would go to the web page. as soon as I closed the app it would try to launch to the web page and get the same error. I just deleted the app and no longer had the problem.

to quickly find out if this is your problem you can use the task manager which can be launched from the file search or use [ctrl][alt][delete] keys

in task manager close running ie if it starts again check all the apps to figure out where its hidden.

also might want to check the control panel to turn app notifications on or off I have had issues with these trying to access the web.

Please let me know if this helps.

thanks,

Z_TLAW

Wednesday, November 16, 2011 1:09 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I have tried the following:

1. Start IE from Win8 Collection View menu
    2. IE Start, it become green screen, I saw at task manager, IE only active for a view second and then disappear
    3. "Windows Problem Reporting" active twice for a second - appear at Background processes at Task Manager
    4. try to start IE each time after closing one by one application from Task Manager until all closed, IE problem still not solved

The other case:

1. Start IE from Desktop, it'is immediately has "Internet Explorer has stop working" pop up
    2. I clicked Closed button to close

I am still trying to solved.

Wednesday, November 16, 2011 2:45 AM
  • Go to desktop. Open Internet Explorer.
    Click on tools at the top right hand side of page.
    Go to Advanced tab.
    At the bottom of the page under Reset Iinternete Explorere settings, click on Reset.

Then try again and see if you still are experiencing issues with the Metro Internet Explorer and desktop version.

Let us know the results.

Marilyn
    • Marked as answer by humaNiT Friday, November 18, 2011 12:29 AM
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 3:16 AM
  • Hi Marilyn,

Thanks for the very quick reply.

I can not event have time to go to the Option, Desktop Internet Explorer immediately closed after it started.

Regards.

Wednesday, November 16, 2011 3:54 AM
  • Reopen the task manager and click on the process tab it will stop ie from bouncing around. when you click to expand ie you will be able to see how many are running. then you can right click and end each. If they keep reopening by themselves then you have find the app responsible and stop or delete. Be careful downloading Silverlight apps. if you don't see Microsoft security running you need to get it fixed!

good luck.

Wednesday, November 16, 2011 1:47 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks again,

Metro IE is immediately closed, and there is no more any IE on Task Manager, I have nothing to do on this case but start Metro IE.

Desktop IE is immediately pop up "Internet Explorer has stopped working" windows. It tried to click End Task at the child, root of IE at the task bar and start again desktop IE the problem still happened. If I click "Close program" at the Pop Up windows, Desktop IE disappear from Task Manager.

I used Windows defender for antivirus (automatically install in Win8). Then as you proposed I installed Microsoft Security Essential the problem is the same before and after I installed MSE.

IE it'self does not keep reopening. Metro IE is gone to green blank screen based on Task Manager, it's closed. Desktop IE Desktop IE is immediately pop up "Internet Explorer has stopped working" windows. It closed after I click "Close program" button, or after I click "End Task" from Task Manager.

Regards

Wednesday, November 16, 2011 8:30 PM
  • If you haven't already done so, here is a link to the ie release notes http://ie.microsoft.com/testdrive/info/ReleaseNotes/ which contains some known issues for the ie 10 in the dev8 preview. another resource you can check is the ie developers guide http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/gg192966.aspx 

Also in the action center if you haven't done this already run the trouble shooter then view the log for the issues causing this problem.

temporarily you might want to install a previous version of ie till the problem can be solved. 

best of luck,

-Z_TLAW

You could also try running the ie-web diagnostics package located in dev8 C:\Windows\diagnostics\system\IEBrowseWeb\DiagPackage.diagpkg
    • Edited by Z TLAW Thursday, November 17, 2011 12:58 PM added resource
    Thursday, November 17, 2011 11:44 AM
  • IE it'self does not keep reopening. Metro IE is gone to green blank screen based on Task Manager, it's closed.

I thought you might be seeing what I was seeing for my Sudoku app.   In that case my workaround was switching monitors, so perhaps just switching Display resolution for yours would be sufficient?

BTW does Event Viewer show that you are getting a crash too?

And then I saw...

Desktop IE Desktop IE is immediately pop up "Internet Explorer has stopped working" windows.

which usually suggests a problem with add-ons.   Have you tried recreating your symptom in No Add-ons mode?   E.g.  Run...  (press Win-R and enter:)

iexplore.exe  -nohome  -extoff

Or if you aren't interested in diagnosing a cause from that angle, go straight to RIES.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, November 17, 2011 3:20 PM
  • temporarily you might want to install a previous version of ie till the problem can be solved. 

That would be nice.   How would one do that?   E.g. I'm assuming that IE10 is W8's base browser functionality in the same way that IE8 was W7's,  IE7 was Vista's, IE6.2 was XPsp2's, IE5.5 was W98SE's and in none of them could we simply reinstall IE or go back to an earlier version.  In fact, after XP there wasn't even a (purported) general purpose repair tool for IE any more (such as it was in earlier versions, useful or not.)  

RIES is not the desired general purpose repair tool for IE either but fortunately it seems to help in the vast majority of cases.   Also, note that RIES is not dependent on being able to start IE either, since it can be done using the Control Panel's Internet Options applet.   Or more directly via Run...

control.exe  inetcpl.cpl,,6

The only other repair tool we have is Kai's cmd file and I have no idea how much of it will still be effective in an IE10 environment.   It seems each time another IE Cumulative Security update comes out some function that that tool depends on is removed or disabled so I can only imagine what will be left for it to use in IE10.   ; ]

In fact, there would be one other way that they might have addressed this deficiency which I haven't yet tested in W8.   W8's  Windows Features  tool apparently still allows  IE  to be unchecked just as W7's does.   In W7 there is a great deal of grinding and then a reboot to get that done.  (BTW I'm not sure one needed to have a second browser on hand to undo that but FWIW I had Google Chrome available JIC. <W>)  Unfortunately there is not a similar amount of grinding or a reboot to undo it, leading me to guess that all that probably happens is a backing up of old (broken) registry values and a later restore of the same values unchanged.  In any case AFAIK it is not our long sought EFFECTIVE general purpose IE Repair Tool either.

So I suspect we are still stuck with patchwork repair when it comes to IE10 too but I would love to be proved wrong.  I have been putting off an analysis using ProcMon to find out what is really accomplished by each procedure.   Maybe I'll finally get it done under W8.

FYI

Robert
    ---

• Marked as answer by humaNiT Friday, November 18, 2011 12:28 AM
    Thursday, November 17, 2011 4:15 PM
  • Hi All,

Thanks you all so much for helping me.

Z Tlaw:

1. I have tried using Chrome browser (this reply using the secondary browser) 
    2. C:\Windows\diagnostics\system\IEBrowseWeb\DiagPackage.diagpkg: I have tried this, but it can not find any thing wrong. I tried also run as administration using Advance option, still no luck

Robert:

1. iexplore.exe  -nohome  -extoff: I have tried but the problem still happened
    2. control.exe  inetcpl.cpl,,6: I set Home page to "Use default", in these case the default Home page is http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157 I have no luck 
    3. control.exe  inetcpl.cpl,,6: I tried to disable several of options, but the case still happened. 

Again thank you so much for your help, and let me try to read some of reference that you guys sent me.

Thursday, November 17, 2011 10:26 PM
  • Hi All,

It's finally solved using the following step:

1. form "RUN" application, submit "control.exe  inetcpl.cpl,,6", this idea come from Robert
    2. Click "Restore advanced settings" at "Advanced" tab of internet properties, this idea from Marilyn
    3. Click  "Reset..." also at "Advanced" tab of internet properties
    4. Check "Delete personal settings" and click "Reset" button

Now both Desktop IE, and Metro IE are working back

Again thank you all guys

• Edited by humaNiT Friday, November 18, 2011 12:56 AM
    Friday, November 18, 2011 12:28 AM
  • Hi Z Tlaw

My special thank to you. I do appreciate all your very detail effort. You gave me spirit to keep me to solve my problem.

Friday, November 18, 2011 12:55 AM
  • Hi Robert,

My apologies, my formal training in Windows was accrued on 2000 and XP. At that time, there were compatibility issues with different versions of ie so we were taught a workaround for running side by side versions of ie the details of which can be found here: http://tredosoft.com/Multiple_IE

Thankfully, ie now includes one click switching via the [F12] dev tools and I haven't had any reason to recently attempt multiple installs. I do however have multiple versions of VS 9, 10, and 11 concurrently running on dev8 and assumed that it might still be possible to do the same with ie.

If you send me (OkWeDoZ@hotmail.com) a link to your blog I'd appreciate the opportunity to read your breakdown analysis of ie10.

@humaNiT- Congratulations and de nada. Its all in the spirit of Open Source. Building better products by sharing and learning from others.

Thankz,

Z_TLAW

Friday, November 18, 2011 8:58 AM
  • My apologies, my formal training in Windows was accrued on 2000 and XP. At that time, there were compatibility issues with different versions of ie so we were taught a workaround for running side by side versions of ie the details of which can be found here: http://tredosoft.com/Multiple_IE

I forgot about W2000 and can't remember what IE repair tool it had. I never looked at the side-by-side execution solutions so don't know if they had any repair effect either.   FWIW I thought they sounded more like opportunities for seeing more problems.   ; )

Thankfully, ie now includes one click switching via the [F12] dev tools and I haven't had any reason to recently attempt multiple installs. I do however have multiple versions of VS 9, 10, and 11 concurrently running on dev8 and assumed that it might still be possible to do the same with ie. 

The preferred method is to use virtualization.

If you send me (OkWeDoZ@hotmail.com) a link to your blog I'd appreciate the opportunity to read your breakdown analysis of ie10.

I'll treat that as some extra incentive to get to work on it but that would mean that I would have to start blogging too. ; )

Robert
    ---

Friday, November 18, 2011 4:11 PM