Windows 8 for PCs (Laptops/Desktops)

Question

• Hi,

I installed Windows 8 today and I must say, it's incredibly disappointing. It seems you've spent all your time making it optimized for touch and in the process have neglected what windows is all about, desktops. The metro interface seems completely disjoint from the desktop experience and the lack of a start menu is a crime. The start menu in Windows 7 was really good, you could launch, search or browse without any effort. Now however, you have to wait for metro to be displayed, then use a mouse to navigate it, which is not a fun thing to do. There isn't even an option to disable metro, which is what most desktop users will want to do. We don't care about the touch optimized interface when we have a mouse and keyboard. 

Will there be a way to enjoy the desktop experience? By that I mean get the start menu back and ignore metro as much as possible. Windows loading to the metro start screen is tolerable, but having it replace the start menu is not. 

• Edited by urbanyoung1 Wednesday, September 14, 2011 8:05 AM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 7:57 AM

All replies

• I think the mentality here is that the average user won't want the desktop.  They'll want Metro and aren't smart enough to get to it on their own unless it's literally the first thing that pops up.  Meanwhile, users like us can be expected to fend for ourselves because we're the geeks that love poking around under the hood.  Hopefully, an opt-out will appear with time, or maybe we just haven't found it yet.
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 8:15 AM
  • Remember that this isnt the kind of "beta" that you are looking for.  Unless you are a developer, you probably shouldnt install this release.  This realease has the API but as for the UX much of that has yet to be completed.
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 9:38 AM
  • I know it's very much a development build, but I'd like to know if we can expect this in future builds or if it's just temporary. I'm hoping for the latter but am not sure.
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 9:57 AM
  • Yeah I'm hoping for a bunch of changes but we wont start to see those untill the actual beta.
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 10:27 AM
  • I find that the Metro UI is getting between me and my PC use. I don't think that's the desired outcome. I just can't see any reason for me to use Metro as I don't use my PC like a smartphone. That being said, I allow for the possibility that in the future I may need it, but until then I would like for an option to bypass it and load directly to desktop.

Secondly, I now know that the windows key gets you out of an app. On the first app I used (the 'build' one ironically), I panicked because I couldn't find a way to close it. It made me leery of apps until I found out the answer on the forums. I think we need a mouse based way to close them.

Just a thought; I found any speed increase from the OS (startup etc.) is eaten up by struggling with Metro.

Not complaining, just feedback

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 1:17 PM
  • I think the mentality here is that the average user won't want the desktop.  They'll want Metro and aren't smart enough to get to it on their own unless it's literally the first thing that pops up.  Meanwhile, users like us can be expected to fend for ourselves because we're the geeks that love poking around under the hood.  Hopefully, an opt-out will appear with time, or maybe we just haven't found it yet.

After getting my Dad to use a computer I shudder at the thought of walking him through Metro to his desktop, hopefully they simplify the process down for the technologically challenged. And besides I think it's not about how smart you are, it's more like casual versus power users.
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 1:20 PM
  • Can't you just press windows key than start typing to open an application on win8?

That's pretty much the any way i use the start menu on win7 anyways, and that seemed to be maintained during the keynote... If not, i'm sure the winkey+F does just that, which is a little more annoyance to just press a button but still miles better than using the mouse.

Also, does the metro interface works with a controller right now? That would be a nice alternative to controlling it...

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 1:50 PM
  • I believe I tried searching from metro (desktop then windows key), but by default it only searches for metro 'apps'. You have to click to change the search to files (I think). 
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 9:25 PM
  • I personally think that they should disable it(Metro UI) completely for desktops, just too much trouble to start programs we use and to use the operating system in general. I want Windows, not some dumb downed interface that just cripples it. Tried the developer preview thinking it would be something like what I seen in the youtube videos, I sure was disappointed. Not to mention the new boot screen, which is some what of a let down after coming to know and love the Windows 7 boot screen. Now mind you I actually installed WDP over my existing Windows 7 in error, which after two days I was fed up with and forced me to install Ubuntu(Most user friendly linux distro, stretching the user friendly part) to see if I could manually edit the files and replace the WDF with the windows.old Windows 7 files.
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 8:15 AM
  • I agree with you, but the whole metro UI for desktops is a crime itself.

Thursday, September 15, 2011 8:18 AM
  • You search by default every thing on the start menu.

Visualstudio is no Metro app and you can find it.

just create a Link in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

Thursday, September 15, 2011 8:32 AM
  • Hello,

I feel the same way and in my opinion, for the start button if you click it the normal start menu should come up and then if you hover your cursor in the corner the other start menu comes up and then if you click that start button it takes you to the metro start menu.

regards

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 12:14 AM
  • I, WindowsVista567, created this post under an account that has since been deleted. If you have any questions about this post, I will respond to them from the "WindowsVista567" account, as I no longer have access to this one. Visit the "WindowsVista567 - old account" profile page for more information. The same is true of all other posts from 'WindowsVista567 - old account."

Actually, an opt-out for Metro in Windows 8 does exist, but you have to edit the Registry to find it (I think). Here are the steps:

1. Open up "regedit" from the Start Screen.

2. Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer.

3. Change the value of "RPEnabled" and "RPInstalled" to 0.

4. Go into C:\Windows\system32\ and rename "shsxs.dll" to "shsxs.dll.bak."

5. Restart the PC

6. Go back into the Registry Editor and change the RPEnabled and RPInstalled values back to 1.

7. Enjoy using Windows 8 without Metro.

I may have made mistakes with some of the steps, or added steps that are not necessary, but this is how I disabled Metro as well as I can remember. To get Metro back, just change the name of shsxs.dll.bak back to the original name. Renaming it can turn Metro off again.

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 12:24 AM
  • Just remember that this release is to get developers into building touch apps, so it's ridiculously over-focused on the new touch UI.  You can bet that much will change in the future -- this is still over a year away.

Shawn Keene
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 12:50 AM
  • Could not say it better.

bring back:

Start menu

Search

hability to disable METRO on the desktop completely.

It is a horrible experience.

With touch, ok, but on the desktop, no.

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 8:27 AM
  • It sounds like we were looking for something like this:

http://microsoft-news.com/windows-8-start-menu-switcher-toggles-metroclassic-start-menu/

• Proposed as answer by mskurnik Wednesday, September 21, 2011 9:44 AM
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 9:44 AM
  • try this free app - it lets you customise/remove the metro UI

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/System-Tweak/Metro-UI-Tweaker-for-Windows-8.shtml

Saturday, September 24, 2011 6:37 AM