“Error reading from file” when try to access VSS

Question

• Hi Alin,

I might need your help.

I’m having a problem regarding the Visual SourceSafe.

Before this it works perfectly.

The problem arises when one of the developers claiming that they can’t access the VSS (previously was OK).

It says “Error reading from file”.

Before this, usually if there’s an error regarding VSS it must be the pointing from client to the srcsafe.ini file at server is not correct.

To solve this, just create a new path and point it to the file.

I already done this but the error still occur.

For you information, I already restarted the server machine twice but the same thing happen.

Basically, we did a backup every night for the Visual Source Safe, and I did try for the backup for previous night and it seems fine (I restore the backup on local).

Is there something wrong with the VSS?

My last question is, if I run the Analyze.exe through the current database, what should I do when it prompt some data having error (like maybe it says unable to read the data)

Should I remove it, maybe this is the data that causes the developers can’t access the VSS.

Please.

P/s I’m sorry I didn’t arise this problem in the forum, since this is critical and all the developers code are inside the VSS.

Thursday, December 29, 2005 1:47 PM

Answers

• Please try running analyze on the database and see whether any errors are reported. Errors can be fixed by using the -f switch.

Please let us know if this helps.

-grigori

Friday, January 6, 2006 1:40 AM

All replies