Problem customizing Metrics display for a collection (any metric) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

My name is Damien Rider, I sent a tweet to support, https://twitter.com/damienrider/status/822248881446498305

I have been asked to create a question here.

When I access the Azure Portal, browse to my documentdb and click Metrics, click the arrow to expand a metric, click "Edit Chart" and then swap to custom Time Range of 1/19/17 10:00am to 1/20/17 5:00am and click Ok I see a quick display of an error message, too quick to read and the panel closes, the graph doesn't update.

Can I please get some help.

Thanks,
    Damien

Friday, January 20, 2017 1:58 AM

All replies

• I was able to repro and the error says "You cannot select Bar chart type since you have selected metrics with different timegrain." and it appears to happen no matter how the chart is edited. We will investigate.
    Friday, January 20, 2017 2:55 AM
  • Thanks for reporting this Damien.

Currently, we don't support changing the series shown in the metrics details when you open it from the Metrics blade (as opposed to opening it from the Overview blade).

You can change the time window in both the Metrics and Metrics Details by choosing a different time window in the parent blade.

As I mentioned, you can customize the details charts if you navigate from the Overview blade. There, the monitoring chart shows Total Request and Throttled Requests by default, but you can customize it.

Friday, January 20, 2017 3:35 AM
  • Thanks Armando.

This works great for overall metrics, like total request and throttled requests for the entire documentdb instance. I'm after specific metrics after running some performance testing on a specific document collection/database.

Once I change the Time Range on the Overview Blade, it doesn't apply the same Time Range to the metrics of the database displayed on the Metrics tab after selecting a database. This is what I would expect to happen from the user's experience. But the user should be able to use the "Edit Chart" button on the Metrics blade to have the metrics updated, this currently doesn't work with the error mention by Mimi above.

I know there is a REST API available to get these metrics but there is little to no documentation on the specifics of this API on how to get metrics out of DocumentDb for a Database.

Friday, January 20, 2017 4:22 AM
  • Thanks for the feedback. We will take this in consideration for our next release of Metrics improvements.

What metrics are you trying to see for your performance testing scenario?

Friday, January 20, 2017 5:37 PM