Outlook 2013 VSTO .... Custom button in reading pane? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

In Outlook 2013's reading pane, we got the new quick ... REPLY, REPLY ALL and FORWARD. Is it possible to to add a custom button next to "FORWARD" (indicated by the red arrow here)...

?

Thanks!

Mojo

Friday, April 12, 2013 3:17 PM

Answers

• Not there, no. You can in the ribbon tab for working with inline response items.

--
    Ken Slovak
    [MVP-Outlook]
    http://www.slovaktech.com
    Author: Professional Programming Outlook 2007
    "M O J O" <=?utf-8?B?TSBPIEogTw==?=> wrote in message news:e8ef2b55-bbe4-4f14-b5bd-5239399cb07e...

Hi,

In Outlook 2013's reading pane, we got the new quick ... REPLY, REPLY ALL and FORWARD. Is it possible to to add a custom button next to "FORWARD" (indicated by the red arrow here)...

?

Thanks!

Mojo

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    • Marked as answer by M O J O Saturday, April 13, 2013 8:44 PM
    Friday, April 12, 2013 3:34 PM

All replies

• Not there, no. You can in the ribbon tab for working with inline response items.

--
    Ken Slovak
    [MVP-Outlook]
    http://www.slovaktech.com
    Author: Professional Programming Outlook 2007
    "M O J O" <=?utf-8?B?TSBPIEogTw==?=> wrote in message news:e8ef2b55-bbe4-4f14-b5bd-5239399cb07e...

Hi,

?

Thanks!

Mojo

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    • Marked as answer by M O J O Saturday, April 13, 2013 8:44 PM
    Friday, April 12, 2013 3:34 PM
  • As far as I know, there is no way to add button from there, but you can cusmtom ribbon to complete your goal

If my post is helpful,please help to vote as helpful, if my post solve your question, please help to make it as answer.

Saturday, April 13, 2013 3:53 PM
  • Hello,

HOW can I add a button to the inline compose-message-contextual tab with my visual Studio AddIn? I tried hard for a certain amount of time, but I can't find any solution.
    Thanks in advance

Katharina

Katharina Heizinger Soprani Software www.soprani.at

Friday, March 7, 2014 5:13 PM
  • So, the only answer is: buy an additional tool?

(I was silly enough to do so after three days of exploring and searching to add just this one single Feature to en existing and running Project - and: it does NOT work. At least noat at all as easily as promoted - I went to the "set-up a new Project"-workflow, added my tab, changed the two Settings as suggested, tested the Project, and hooray: NOTHING has changed. So maybe even with the tool it's not just "see here: ...". Up to now it's just a waste of time AND money.)

regards,
    Katharina

Monday, March 10, 2014 1:17 PM
  • You don't need AddIn Express to customize the ribbon. You can do it using the tools available to you in Visual Studio.

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook

Monday, March 10, 2014 1:46 PM
  • Ken is right. There is no need to purchase additional tools. The article I mentioned in my previous post provides a sample code in C# and VB.NET that can be used in VSTO based add-ins. I don't know why you decided to buy something else.  
    Monday, March 10, 2014 1:56 PM
  • Let me try to pose my question again:

I want to add a Group to the Outlook 2013 COMPOSE TOOLS - MESSAGE tab. This is the one that appears when I e.g. press "reply" within the reading pane.

What I did in VSTO (without and then as well with AddIn-Express, because the article Eugene was referring to mentioned only properties provided by AddIn-Express):

Create a new RibbonTab (AdxRibbonTab)

Create a group

Create a button and add a msgBox to the Click-Event.

AddInExpress only (because there are no such properties in VSTO): Set Context.TabComposeTools value for the Context property and the TabMessage value for the IdMso property of the ADXRibbonTab.

Change nothing else.

--> no button.

The sample code does not help at all - it seems to have nothind to do with the Need of a button. And the downloadable example gives me no clue (and, as well, does not provide me with a button.)

So (and I'm sorry to bother you again with this question): HOW can I do this? With ('cause I've bought it already as it seemed to be recommended by the referenced article) AddIn Express or without.
    I hope the answer is not "of course you can add this button, you just have to find out how" :-)

Thanks again in advance
    hopefully
    Katharina

Monday, March 10, 2014 3:23 PM
  • If you are using ribbon XML you would use the "TabMessage" tab and add your own group of controls to that. "TabMessage" is a member of the ribbon controls in the Explorer ribbon. So you would supply your ribbon XML when the Explorer ribbon XML was called for.

I'm not sure offhand about the settings using the VSTO ribbon designer, I almost never use that so I'm not vey familiar with that construct. Are you using the latest version of Visual Studio with updates for VSTO for Outlook 2013? That would be the only version that would support 2013 inline response.

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook

Monday, March 10, 2014 5:28 PM
  • hi Ken,

thanks for your answer - yes, I use the latest Version, freshly downloaded it just a week ago. I'll give the XML a try, but I really would be glad for a solution with the ribbon designer - should be possible as well, in my opinion. Otherwise why provide developers with a tool that gives no clue on any but a very basic situation?

So I would be glad if there is such a simple solution as suggested by Eugene. I look forword for any additional help,

Kind regards

Katharina

Monday, March 10, 2014 6:48 PM
  • Hello Katharina,

Here is the raw Ribbon XML which you can use in your VSTO based add-in:

<customUI xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2006/01/customui" onLoad="RibbonLoaded" loadImage="LoadImages">
      <ribbon startFromScratch="false">
        <contextualTabs>
          <tabSet idMso="TabComposeTools">
            <tab getVisible="getVisible" idMso="TabMessage">
              <group getLabel="getLabel" getVisible="getVisible" id="MYRibbonGroup">
                <button getDescription="getDescription" getEnabled="getEnabled" getImage="getImage" getLabel="getLabel" getShowImage="getShowImage" getShowLabel="getShowLabel" getSize="getSize" getVisible="getVisible" id="MyRibbonButton" onAction="onAction" />
              </group>
            </tab>
          </tabSet>
        </contextualTabs>
      </ribbon>
    </customUI>

Don't forget to add the required callback to your code behind files.

You can find the list of built-in control IDs for Outlook 2013 here. The following articles in MSDN describe all possible customizations in the Ribbon UI:

Customizing the 2007 Office Fluent Ribbon for Developers (Part 1 of 3)

Customizing the 2007 Office Fluent Ribbon for Developers (Part 2 of 3)

Customizing the 2007 Office Fluent Ribbon for Developers (Part 3 of 3)

It looks like I need to prepare a corresponding article for VSTO developers.

Tuesday, March 11, 2014 9:48 AM
  • I know this is an old thread, but I recently came across the issue as this previous post.  We recently changed our instant messaging client to Cisco Jabber at our company, and upon doing that, I now have the IM icon below as a fourth icon, so there must have been some way to add this button.  I've been trying to find out how, but I'm coming up short and wanted to see if anyone has new information on how this was done.

I would post a screenshot of this, but MSDN is telling me I can't until my account is verified, and I'm not really sure what I need to do in order to make that happen.  What I have in my reading pane now is just a fourth icon after Forward that has an instant message icon labeled IM.

Phil

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 2:58 PM
  • The Outlook extensibility model doesn't allow to place custom buttons here. It is for Lync I suppose.

Anyway, I'd recommend asking non-programming questions in the Outlook IT Pro Discussions forum.

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 3:03 PM
  • It was probably added using Win32 API calls, what MS calls an adjacent window in Outlook. See http://blogs.msdn.com/b/stephen_griffin/archive/2010/06/01/adjacent-windows-in-outlook.aspx for more information about that.

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 3:14 PM
  • Ken,

It is a standard Outlook button. Adjacent windows will not help in that case.

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 3:29 PM
  • It's not a standard Outlook button at all if it was added by Cisco Jabber, as the poster mentioned. The last I heard Cisco wasn't part of MS.

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 3:44 PM
  • I see that button in Outlook even without Cisco Jabber installed. Why do you think it belongs to Cisco only?
    Wednesday, March 26, 2014 3:48 PM
  • "We recently changed our instant messaging client to Cisco Jabber at our company, and upon doing that, I now have the IM icon below as a fourth icon, so there must have been some way to add this button. "

There was no illustration or image of the button, so one must go on what the poster said.

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 3:57 PM
  • The poster wrote about the button shown on the screenshot (IM):

Adjacent windows are useless in that case.

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 4:16 PM
  • Can we hide this kind of reading panes? For instance; I would like to hide the meeting request item reading pane. How can I achieve this?
    Friday, March 29, 2019 1:20 PM
  • Please don't piggyback on existing threads with a new question, start a new thread.

Take a look at the Explorer.ShowPanes() method. You can get the ActiveExplorer and make sure it's for the calendar, then you can show or hide any of the panes in the Panes collection. The pane you'd want would be olPreview (3).

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook

Friday, March 29, 2019 2:22 PM
  • Hello Erdi,

I'd recommend posting questions into a separate thread so other forum readers could recognize questions and answers easily. Mixing different things into the same thread is not really a good idea.

Starting from Outlook 2013, you can show/hide the Reading Pane programmatically: use Explorer.IsPaneVisible and Explorer.ShowPane methods. 

profile for Eugene Astafiev at Stack Overflow, Q&A for professional and enthusiast programmers

Friday, March 29, 2019 2:24 PM
  • Hi Eugene,

Thank you for your recommendation. I will post new one

Monday, April 1, 2019 5:53 AM