none
Color coding missing with DbgCLR.exe 2.0 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm evaluating the option of upgrading by Visual Studio 2003 project to Visual Studio 2005. Currently, I often use the lightweight CLR Debugger that ships with SDK and find it very handy. However, the CLR Debugger (DbgCLR.exe) that comes with .NET 2.0 doesn't support color coding. Whenever I try to debug the project, all code files are displayed as plain text (that is black text on the white background). No comment highlighting, no nothing.

I can choose the program to debug just fine, breakpoints do work, I can examine the properties, yet no color codes, which is so inconvenient.

Is this by design in DbgCLR 2.0 or do I miss something?

Ancient

Thursday, February 28, 2008 1:44 PM

Answers

• no, it's all right. syntax highlight for debugger is only available in visual studio 2005. if you want you can download visual studio 2005 evaluate version, it works for 6 months and have debugger with syntax hightlight.
    i'm not sure that you can still download it becouse mybe now it is replaced by the evaluate version of visual studio 2008

Friday, February 29, 2008 4:41 PM

All replies

• no, it's all right. syntax highlight for debugger is only available in visual studio 2005. if you want you can download visual studio 2005 evaluate version, it works for 6 months and have debugger with syntax hightlight.
    i'm not sure that you can still download it becouse mybe now it is replaced by the evaluate version of visual studio 2008

Friday, February 29, 2008 4:41 PM
  • OK, thanks. Good to know.

It's just weird that the syntax highlighting was available for the CLR Debugger 1.1 and now it's gone. Probably it was too good Smile Still, I can't understand if the syntax highlighting is gone in CLR Debugger 2.0, why then the Options tab in that tool still offers color codes for various syntax elements, just like in version 1.1.

We can purchase Visual Studio 2005 or Visual Studio 2008 just fine. The problem is that CLR Debugger is much faster than the built-in one in Visual Studio. So I got used to the practice of editing the code using Visual Studio and debugging it with this lightweight debugger tool.

Maybe CLR Debugger 1.1 will be able to handle .NET 2.0 programs. We'll see...

Friday, February 29, 2008 5:29 PM