none
Importing Txt File with Hebrew Names is not working ! RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to import a txt file which has Hebrew customer names into a SQL Server Database , and for that NAME to be displayed in HEBREW for that COLUMN only.

I know how to insert it with this special insert statement below which works . If only I could grab that field from the txt file in HEBREW in SSIS .

create table #temp ( str Nvarchar(100) ) ;

insert

into #temp(str)values(N'HEBREW SAMPLE IN HERE') ;

select

* from #temp ;

drop

table #temp;

The problem with SSIS is that all the import tasks put the HEBREW customer name in some junk format and I cant do anything then . Current collation on server, database, tables columns is ;                                                                                                       1. SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS
    2. SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS
    3. SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS

Friday, April 27, 2012 12:26 PM

Answers

• Hello,

If it's a ASCII file with hebrew content, then you should use an other collation then SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS; because then the hebrew characters are interpreted as latin characters; I am pretty sure there is also a spezific hebrew collation available.

Olaf Helper
    * cogito ergo sum * errare humanum est * quote erat demonstrandum *
    Wenn ich denke, ist das ein Fehler und das beweise ich täglich
    Blog Xing

• Marked as answer by Eileen Zhao Monday, May 7, 2012 8:17 AM
    Friday, April 27, 2012 2:01 PM

All replies

• The problem with SSIS is that all the import tasks put the HEBREW customer name in some junk format and I cant do anything then

Hello,

What type of is the source text file; ASCII, Unicode or UTF? With Unicode/Utf it should work.

In the flatfile datasource definition you can also define the source "code page", e.g. 65001 = UTF-8

Olaf Helper
    Blog Xing

Friday, April 27, 2012 12:31 PM
  • I think it is ASCII. Although I am not entirely sure to be honest .

Flatfile datasource definition I tested and got the following error for all the columns apparent from the interested COLUMN which has the HEBREW names in it , if I do it ,

Cannot be processed because more than one code page (65001 and 1255) are specified for it.

This is for a simple flat fils source task to an OLE DB Source Task .

Friday, April 27, 2012 1:36 PM
  • Hello,

If it's a ASCII file with hebrew content, then you should use an other collation then SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS; because then the hebrew characters are interpreted as latin characters; I am pretty sure there is also a spezific hebrew collation available.

Olaf Helper
    Blog Xing

• Marked as answer by Eileen Zhao Monday, May 7, 2012 8:17 AM
    Friday, April 27, 2012 2:01 PM