[UWP]RequestStartProjectingAsync - Suspend/Resume RRS feed

• Question

• I have noticed that when calling on "ProjectionManager.RequestStartProjectingAsync()" on Windows Phone 10 that when the connection is established the app is Suspended and then immediately resumed. Is this expected behavior? My app has state that is released on suspend but can't be recovered on resume without user intervention, so is there anyway to detect that the suspend/resume is temporal.
    • Edited by Barry Wang Monday, May 23, 2016 2:19 AM title tag
    Friday, May 20, 2016 1:53 PM

All replies

• Hello Mark,

Maybe the issue is still related to your device. I've tested with ProjectionManager.RequestStartProjectingAsync and my app does not trigger the suspend event. How you connect to your projection, from WIFI? Maybe you can try if you can reproduce this issue on another device. By the way, I tried to detect the suspend/resume event by writing some logs, if you also want to detect it, you can write the info to your log file in your suspend event https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/windows.ui.xaml.application.suspending.aspx.

Best regards,

Barry

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, May 23, 2016 3:05 AM
  • I am able to trap the condition in both logs and the debugger. The condition happens on 100% of the time on a mobile device and sometimes on a desktop version of W10.

Because my app uses peer to peer communication I use the suspend event to gracefully shutdown those connections. I was able to trap the error by setting a bit that indicates that I am processing the "start projection async" command and bail out of the suspend event without tearing down the connection state.

I would rather not use an internal bit to dictate how suspend/resume works so I want to;

1) better understand what is going on under the covers when this command is being invoked

2) Provide information back to development team about the context that the API is being used.

Monday, May 23, 2016 2:26 PM
  • @MarkWHaroldson,

>>better understand what is going on under the covers when this command is being invoked

To understand the problem I still need a repro sample. If it is possible please create a simple sample for us.

>>Provide information back to development team about the context that the API is being used.

To feedback this issue you can choose the following channel:

1. Use Windows Feedback Tool which contains API feedback. You can share it there.

2. If we can reproduce this issue and you don't require a quick fix, I can help you report this issue from the internal channel.

3. If you need a fix then you can create a support case:

• Go to http://aka.ms/storesupport (sign in using your MSDN Subscription if applicable)
    • Under "App development" click the “Windows 10 Universal app development” OR "Windows 8.x app development” link based on where they are experiencing the problem.
    • On the next page, choose Problem type = Support for Writing apps, Category = <<appropriate category>>
    • Then choose the "Start request" link to start a support request.

Best regards,

Barry

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, May 24, 2016 8:54 AM