none
VS2010 + Office 2010 Home Trial setup for developing RRS feed

• Question

• I have VS2010 Professional on my development machine. Later I installed Office 2010 Home and Student trial. Now I want to develop a simple Word document project. When I select  Visual Basic-->Office-->2010-->Word 2010 document template, a Visual Studio message apears telling that I need to install the associated Microsoft Office application to this project.

I verified that in my VS2010 Professional installation in ProgramFiles\VisualStudio10, i have "Visual Studio Tools For Office" folder, and also the PIA subfolder for Office 12 and Office 14 with a lot of Interop dlls on them, so, I think I have all required parts installed.

How can I detect what more is needed, and how to solve that message

Sunday, November 6, 2011 4:31 PM

Answers

• Hi pssvs

In addition to Tom's question:

I'm guessing that this is the download version of Office that's actually "Click-and-Run". That executes in a virtual environment and can't be used as a VSTO developer tool because Office isn't actually installed and running on your machine. The virtual environment is, and your machine has no access to anything running there.

If you were to buy the software and then specifically request the full version it would download and install on your machine. But I'm pretty sure the trial version cannot be used in this manner...

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP
    • Marked as answer by pssvs Tuesday, November 8, 2011 10:55 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by pssvs Tuesday, November 8, 2011 10:55 PM
    • Marked as answer by pssvs Tuesday, November 8, 2011 10:57 PM
    Tuesday, November 8, 2011 9:59 AM

All replies

• Hi pssvs,

Thanks for posting in the MSDN Forum.

In theory, only Office 2010 Start version can’t develop add-in. Do you ensure your Office isn’t that version?

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, November 8, 2011 3:33 AM
  • Hi pssvs

In addition to Tom's question:

I'm guessing that this is the download version of Office that's actually "Click-and-Run". That executes in a virtual environment and can't be used as a VSTO developer tool because Office isn't actually installed and running on your machine. The virtual environment is, and your machine has no access to anything running there.

If you were to buy the software and then specifically request the full version it would download and install on your machine. But I'm pretty sure the trial version cannot be used in this manner...

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP
    • Marked as answer by pssvs Tuesday, November 8, 2011 10:55 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by pssvs Tuesday, November 8, 2011 10:55 PM
    • Marked as answer by pssvs Tuesday, November 8, 2011 10:57 PM
    Tuesday, November 8, 2011 9:59 AM