none
Trying to modify a URL behind a graphical logo. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I have recently built a new SharePoint 2013 infrastructure for a customer and deployed a new custom web application that a third party developed for the customer.

All is seemingly working as the customer wants with the third party application deployment but there is a couple of changes they want doing and the third party has stopped responding to the customer. Probably because they have been paid and don't want to spend anymore time unless they can charge for it.

So the customer has asked me if I can find out how to make a change.

The new web application is the foundation for the company's new intranet site. There is a branding that has been applied to the site and each page displays two logos at the top. One logo is the company logo and when hovering over it shows the URL for the external company website. When clicking on the logo (Assuming your browser is configured to use the proxy server) you are taken to the company's public website.

The other logo is the name the company has give the intranet site. When you hover and click on this logo on any page on the site, it takes you back to the home (Landing page) of the new SharePoint web application. As this logo and name is the same as there currently live intranet, they want it to point to a different URL external to SharePoint but an internal URL within the network.

I cannot seem to find out how to edit this logo, or if its even possible without the source code. If I check various setting under "Site Settings" and then in "Look and Feel", I don't see anything obvious.

Can anybody advise how to find out where this logo is and if its possible to change the URL behind it.

Thanks in advance

Dave

Friday, January 13, 2017 11:40 AM

Answers

• That would indeed suggest that they used a custom master and overrode the default siteLink on the logo.  To modify it you have two potential options.

1.  Get the sourcecode for the project that creates that feature, modify it by editing the NavigateUrl property you identified.  Then deactivate and remove the existing feature, then publish the new edited one in its place and re-activate all the branding.  That's the right way to do it, but you said you don't have the source and it could get messy depending on what else they did in that solution.
    2. You could find the master file in the master pages gallery and use design manager in SharePoint to edit and re-publish the master page.  That will leave you with a file that has been customized outside of the normal deployment process.  That will add confusion and complications to any eventual upgrade process, but is probably your easiest way to do it now.

Paul Stork SharePoint Server MVP
    Principal Architect: Blue Chip Consulting Group
    Blog: http://dontpapanic.com/blog
    Twitter: Follow @pstork
    Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves your problem.

• Marked as answer by 2000DXP Tuesday, January 17, 2017 10:53 AM
    Monday, January 16, 2017 3:42 PM

All replies

• You would either need the source code, assuming its the third party branding that implements the link.  The default site logo in SharePoint is designed to take you back to the home page of the site so it may not be the third party branding that is doing the link.  If you don't have the source code or its still the dafault behavior in SharePoint you would need to write javascript to re-write the link client side by manipulating the DOM.

Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves your problem.

Friday, January 13, 2017 12:55 PM
  • Hi Paul, hope you are well.

Thanks for your reply

I have a feeling its built into the third party branding solution code.

Is there any more detailed information I can get by inspecting the element using IE. I have got so far doing this and can see the herf reference leading back to /Sites/Home but I don't really know how to source the actual file on the server folders.

Even if I was able to locate the actual file that contains this URL, I am not sure if its possible to edit it in Notepad++ and make the change.

My suspicion is based on your reply that it is probably not as simple as just editing a file.

Regards,

Dave

Friday, January 13, 2017 1:06 PM
  • I doubt the link is in an actual file, unless its hard coded in the master page.  Its probably produced programmatically and you wouldn't be able to modify it by using Notepad++.  I would also doubt its as simple as editing a file, unless its hard coded in the master page, and even that isn't a simple edit job.

Friday, January 13, 2017 1:17 PM
  • Hi Paul, hope you are well and thanks for getting back to me.

It looks like it is part of the master file. I say this like I know what I am talking about, but I have found a file in the following location:-

C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\Web Server Extensions\15\TEMPLATE\FEATURES\Xxxxx.XXX.Foundation.Branding_Xxxx.XXX.Foundation.Branding\Master Pages

(I have X out some of the names to mask the company name)

Under this folder the file name is called:-

XXx.master

If I edit this file in notepad I see the following line:-

<SharePoint:SPLinkButton ID="SPLinkButton1" runat="server" NavigateUrl="~sitecollection/">

I think if this URL is the one I need to change and I don't think it is just a case of adding in a new URL and saving the file from what you advised on in your last message.

Do you have any idea, or suggested guide I can follow to be able to make this change properly.

Thanks in advance

Dave

Monday, January 16, 2017 3:13 PM
  • That would indeed suggest that they used a custom master and overrode the default siteLink on the logo.  To modify it you have two potential options.

1.  Get the sourcecode for the project that creates that feature, modify it by editing the NavigateUrl property you identified.  Then deactivate and remove the existing feature, then publish the new edited one in its place and re-activate all the branding.  That's the right way to do it, but you said you don't have the source and it could get messy depending on what else they did in that solution.
    2. You could find the master file in the master pages gallery and use design manager in SharePoint to edit and re-publish the master page.  That will leave you with a file that has been customized outside of the normal deployment process.  That will add confusion and complications to any eventual upgrade process, but is probably your easiest way to do it now.

• Marked as answer by 2000DXP Tuesday, January 17, 2017 10:53 AM
    Monday, January 16, 2017 3:42 PM
  • Hi Paul, hope you are well.

Thanks again for your advice.

I have got the WSP file which I read that you can rename to .DLL and then extract the contents like a cabinet file. I am not sure if its possible to then edit and save the file and put it back into the DLL and rename it back to WSP.

In the meantime I have tested out option 2 and that has worked a treat. I think this is going to have to be the solution and any new future sites that are created and have the branding feature applied will need to have the master page re-modified as an extra step.

Thanks again for you advice, much appreciated.

Dave

Tuesday, January 17, 2017 10:53 AM
  • To get the contents of the WSP you rename the file to .ZIP, not .DLL.

If you edited the file in the Feature directory then new sites should also get the new branding.  The confusion (and extra work) will come when you migrate to the next version and have to move the WSP to a new set of servers.  Since you are manually editing the installed files the change won't stick.  The same thing will happen if you install a new version of the WSP.  But for now it should do what you want.

Tuesday, January 17, 2017 12:20 PM
  • Hi Paul,

Ok great stuff, thanks very much. I am assuming that if I was to edit the master page file located in the Feature directory, I would have to copy this file manually across all front-end and application SharePoint servers.

It wouldn't replicate automatically.

Is there also a default location for the where features are installed, is this the path I mentioned earlier.

C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\Web Server Extensions\15\TEMPLATE\FEATURES

I am assuming that this folder is common across all types of SharePoint Servers.

Regards,

Dave

Tuesday, January 17, 2017 1:48 PM
  • Yes, you would have to replicate the file across all servers manually.

Yes the path you mentioned is the default location and will be the same on all the SharePoint servers.

Tuesday, January 17, 2017 4:35 PM
  • Thanks very much for the guidance Paul, much appreciated.

thanks

Dave

Tuesday, January 17, 2017 9:27 PM