How do you test Azure Stack on a budget? RRS feed

• Question

• Understandably the hardware requirements for Azure Stack POC are quite high.

Are there currently any workarounds or tips someone can provide to be able to get access to it to try it out without having to shell out for a 12 Core, 96GB RAM server?  Using a high spec Azure VM won't work.

My consultancy usually builds in the cloud but we're interested in providing technical guidance on deploying and managing Azure Stack to our large clients.

What's the least expensive way to start testing the product?  Its not renting a dedicated host from another cloud provider is it? :)

• Edited by JasonCG101 Thursday, February 11, 2016 12:15 PM
    Thursday, February 11, 2016 12:03 PM

Answers

• Hi Jason

I've been able to successfully deploy Azure Stack on a Dell PowerEdge T110 II with 9TB of SATA disk and 32GB of RAM, 4 core CPU. Now this is clearly no where near a production ready environment... But it works and I'm getting some useful insights whilst I save my pennies for more RAM and CPU.

You'll need to do some editing of the deployment script, it tests for 64GB of RAM and 3 available RAW disks, and the XML containing the VM configurations, strangely I've lost the link to the web doc explaining the process (one of the MVPs I seem to remember).

Regards,

Warren.

post edit

https://robertsmit.wordpress.com/2016/02/02/azure-stack-deployment-tweaking-azurestack-azure-deployment/

• Edited by Warren Ridings Thursday, February 11, 2016 3:44 PM
    • Marked as answer by JasonCG101 Friday, February 12, 2016 2:54 AM
    Thursday, February 11, 2016 3:42 PM
  • We hear you.  We have been doing some back of the envelope calcs ourselves to see if we can build some systems for testing.  Cheapest I could come up with was $3000 and that is using some supplies I have laying around. One of the biggest costs right now is the RAM, hopefully as those prices trend down (which is the historical precedence) these systems will become more affordable.  So my tip would be to shop around for the best price on RAM.
    Thursday, February 11, 2016 1:52 PM
  • I have deployed it on a Dell PowerEdge t20 (very low grade server) with 16GB of ram, and yes, it's slow and I would not recommened it to my worst enemy.

Thursday, February 11, 2016 4:00 PM
  • You can Nest the install inside TP4 Hyper-V using another vendors HyperVisor, or on TP4 itself. I have it running on a  server that has no storage and an older CPU but with 128GB RAM and 112GB to the Nested Tp4 VM. But, you could certainly change the scripts to get something going with less RAM.
    Thursday, February 11, 2016 7:40 PM

All replies

• We hear you.  We have been doing some back of the envelope calcs ourselves to see if we can build some systems for testing.  Cheapest I could come up with was $3000 and that is using some supplies I have laying around. One of the biggest costs right now is the RAM, hopefully as those prices trend down (which is the historical precedence) these systems will become more affordable.  So my tip would be to shop around for the best price on RAM.
    Thursday, February 11, 2016 1:52 PM
  • Hi Jason

I've been able to successfully deploy Azure Stack on a Dell PowerEdge T110 II with 9TB of SATA disk and 32GB of RAM, 4 core CPU. Now this is clearly no where near a production ready environment... But it works and I'm getting some useful insights whilst I save my pennies for more RAM and CPU.

You'll need to do some editing of the deployment script, it tests for 64GB of RAM and 3 available RAW disks, and the XML containing the VM configurations, strangely I've lost the link to the web doc explaining the process (one of the MVPs I seem to remember).

Regards,

Warren.

post edit

https://robertsmit.wordpress.com/2016/02/02/azure-stack-deployment-tweaking-azurestack-azure-deployment/

• Edited by Warren Ridings Thursday, February 11, 2016 3:44 PM
    Thursday, February 11, 2016 3:42 PM
  • I have deployed it on a Dell PowerEdge t20 (very low grade server) with 16GB of ram, and yes, it's slow and I would not recommened it to my worst enemy.

Thursday, February 11, 2016 4:00 PM
  • You can Nest the install inside TP4 Hyper-V using another vendors HyperVisor, or on TP4 itself. I have it running on a  server that has no storage and an older CPU but with 128GB RAM and 112GB to the Nested Tp4 VM. But, you could certainly change the scripts to get something going with less RAM.
    Thursday, February 11, 2016 7:40 PM
  • Thanks for the responses.   Interesting that the core and memory specs aren't hard requirements.  I'll take a look at what I can get ahold of.

Friday, February 12, 2016 2:56 AM
  • Thanks for the link, that's awesome.
    Friday, February 12, 2016 3:04 AM