More Recent Build of the Windows Developer Preview

Question

• Sorry if this has been answered but I couldn't find it addressed elsewhere.

At the //build/ conference the MS Employees were running a more recent build of the Windows Developer Preview than that which was released on 13-Sep-2011 / was on the Samsung tablets. This build had various features the that the released build did not, including but not limited to context zooming in the Windows Start Screen.

I'm 90% positive that it was announced that this more recent build of the Windows Developer Preview was going to be released to the public fairly swiftly. I vaguely recall a target date being thrown around that was somewhere around the 20's. At the time I had assumed that was in the same month (i.e. around the 20th of September) but it may well have been a different month and I wasn't paying enough attention.

Are there still plans to release this build? If so what is the current target date?

Liam
    Friday, October 28, 2011 1:17 PM

Answers

• No, newer build of WDP won't be available to the public. You have to wait for the beta. WDP expires on March 11, so the beta will most likely be released in January to give us a few months to upgrade from WDP.
    Friday, October 28, 2011 3:23 PM
  • There is not going to be a newer version of the Windows 8 Developer Preview released. The only updates to it are through Windows Update - and those updates are mainly bug fixes, not for additional features. The beta may have more features.

Not all the features are included in the Windows 8 Developer Preview.

From the Building Windows 8 blog:
    NOTE: The preview build does not include every feature shown this morning.  Shown but not in the Developer Preview release include the Windows Store, Windows Live Metro style apps, and some of the user interface features.  The focus of the preview is the API and development tools for building Metro style apps.
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/09/13/welcome-to-windows-8-the-developer-preview.aspx

Friday, October 28, 2011 4:05 PM

All replies

• No, newer build of WDP won't be available to the public. You have to wait for the beta. WDP expires on March 11, so the beta will most likely be released in January to give us a few months to upgrade from WDP.
    Friday, October 28, 2011 3:23 PM
  • There is not going to be a newer version of the Windows 8 Developer Preview released. The only updates to it are through Windows Update - and those updates are mainly bug fixes, not for additional features. The beta may have more features.

Not all the features are included in the Windows 8 Developer Preview.

From the Building Windows 8 blog:
    NOTE: The preview build does not include every feature shown this morning.  Shown but not in the Developer Preview release include the Windows Store, Windows Live Metro style apps, and some of the user interface features.  The focus of the preview is the API and development tools for building Metro style apps.
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/09/13/welcome-to-windows-8-the-developer-preview.aspx

Friday, October 28, 2011 4:05 PM