TFS & SQL Server? RRS feed

• Question

• We discovered that when we originally setup TFS in the past we really set it up incorrectly. The database server we are using for TFS is only used for TFS and nothing else. The decision was made then to go with SQL Server enterprise even though, SQL Standard was included. We are trying to fix that decision because of licensing cost. We generally keep keep our TFS server up to date. Right now we are on TFS 2013 Update 4. We know that TFS 2015 release is coming soon so trying to proactive we decided to upgrade sql server. 

So we decided to try to upgrade our sql server. We are currently on SQL Server 2012 enterprise. We were trying to upgrade to SQL Server 2014 SP1 standard. The upgrade wizard didn't find any issues. The only dialog thing i really had to answer if i wanted to rebuilt the full text index which i elected to do. After upgrading all the TFS databases were suspect though. We tried to restore from a TFS backup but the same thing happened (all the databases were suspect). As a last ditch effort we did an edition upgrade from SQL Server 2014 Standard to SQL Server 2014 enterprise which fixed the problem.

Now i know TFS doesn't require SQL Server enterprise or it wouldn't come with standard and it would be a very expensive product :). What i don't know is when you install TFS it goes...well it looks like you have the enterprise version of sql server is installed so i'm going to do some extra stuff. 

Does anyone know if this is a TFS issue or a SQL Server issue? Was the issue created because we went from sql server 2012 enterprise to sql server 2014 standard and we should have instead either downgraded before upgrading to 2014 or upgraded to sql server 2014 enterprise and then downgraded the edition to 2014 standard?

Tuesday, July 28, 2015 7:46 PM

Answers

• See https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2712111.

• Marked as answer by Ncage2 Thursday, July 30, 2015 12:13 AM
    Wednesday, July 29, 2015 2:27 AM

All replies

• We discovered that when we originally setup TFS in the past we really set it up incorrectly. The database server we are using for TFS is only used for TFS and nothing else. The decision was made then to go with SQL Server enterprise even though, SQL Standard was included. We are trying to fix that decision because of licensing cost. We generally keep keep our TFS server up to date. Right now we are on TFS 2013 Update 4. We know that TFS 2015 release is coming soon so trying to proactive we decided to upgrade sql server. 

SQL Server Standard Edition license is included in TFS Server license as long as it is used exclusivley by/for TFS - so what licensing cost are you talking about ?

TFS 2013 does not offically support SQL Server 2014 SP1 - see Requirements and compatibility - SQL Server

and this forum contains many posting about problems with TFS using SQL Server 2014 SP1.

I would recommand to use TFS with the included SQL Server Standard Edition using always the offically supported version - not trial with unsupported versions resp. service packs.

Please use Mark as Answer if my post solved your problem and use Vote As Helpful if a post was useful.

Tuesday, July 28, 2015 7:56 PM
  • So we decided to try to upgrade our sql server. We are currently on SQL Server 2012 enterprise. We were trying to upgrade to SQL Server 2014 SP1 standard. The upgrade wizard didn't find any issues. The only dialog thing i really had to answer if i wanted to rebuilt the full text index which i elected to do. After upgrading all the TFS databases were suspect though. We tried to restore from a TFS backup but the same thing happened (all the databases were suspect). As a last ditch effort we did an edition upgrade from SQL Server 2014 Standard to SQL Server 2014 enterprise which fixed the problem

besides SQL Server 2014 SP1 not supported by TFS 2013 you've the problem that your downgrading the edition from Enterprise to Standard.

Before downgrading from EE to SE you need to disabel the use of EE features in TFS - the requirements steps are described in this posting How do you Migrating TFS 2010 SQL with server 2008 R2 Enterprise Edition to TFS 2013 with SQL Server 2014 Standard Edition

don't forget to detach the TFS collection before taking the SQL backup - otherwise you won't be able to attach the database

Please use Mark as Answer if my post solved your problem and use Vote As Helpful if a post was useful.

Tuesday, July 28, 2015 8:01 PM
  • how many users are accessing the TFS server ?

do you really need SQL Enterprise edition?

Tuesday, July 28, 2015 8:03 PM
  • The licensing cost i'm talking about is our decision to install sql server 2012 'enterprise'. We would like to downgrade to 'standard'
    Tuesday, July 28, 2015 8:03 PM

No we don't need enterprise edition and is the very reason why we want to downgrade and not have to pay for sql server enterprise edition. We are small :)
    Tuesday, July 28, 2015 8:05 PM

No we don't need enterprise edition and is the very reason why we want to downgrade and not have to pay for sql server enterprise edition. We are small :)

SQL Server Standard Edition license is included in TFS Server license.

To downgrade from EE to SE follow the steps in the provided link - you can do it on the live system and than migrate to new SQL Server Standard Edition  - but definitively to SQL Server 2014 SP1.

BTW - TFS 2015 RC2 is available and does have a go-live license and can be upgraded to RTM - may you should do the migration from TFS 2013 & SQL 2012 Enterprise to TFS 2015 RC2 with SQL Server 2012 Standard Edition.

At the time the SQL Server 2012 has better performance than SQL Server 2014 when used by TFS except you've lot of resources allocated to TFS box - there's no additional benefit when using SQL Server 2014 instead of SQL Server 2012. for better performance you even need to to some post installation steps when using SQL Server 2014.

I would recommand SQL Server 2012 instead of SQL Server 2014. you could migrate to newer SQL Server in 1-2 year when doing upgrade to TFS 2016(?) - maybe that version does benefit from SQL Server 2014 (or SQL 2016).

Tuesday, July 28, 2015 8:15 PM
  • See https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2712111.

• Marked as answer by Ncage2 Thursday, July 30, 2015 12:13 AM
    Wednesday, July 29, 2015 2:27 AM