Switcher Bar - Window Preview Image RRS feed

• Question

• If you open the Switcher (left side) bar in Windows 8, there is a preview image associated with the screen that was open when the application was backgrounded. This is a security issue for our company. We need to hide any data on the screen and force a re-login if the session expired. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be an API for this.

I tried using the Window's VisibilityChanged event, it works but doesn't take effect in the frozen screen that Windows makes when you background an app.

We would like to replace this preview screen with something else. Is there anyway to do this? If there isn't, this poses a problem for us. We are more worried about protecting user data, than having a preview screen for our application.

This seems to be possibile with the Desktop Window Manager api for desktop apps. But, is there anything similar for store applications?

Sunday, October 20, 2013 3:57 PM

Answers

• There isn't any significantly different way. Any event that is early enough for you to change the view is too early to know for sure if the user is leaving the app. You will need to come up with some app-specific heuristic to determine how to deal with activation changes within the app.

I'll file a feature request to provide a better way in future releases.

--Rob

• Marked as answer by Anne Jing Tuesday, October 29, 2013 9:08 AM
    Monday, October 21, 2013 11:51 PM

All replies

• There is no direct way to control this, but I believe that you'll get a CoreWindow.Activated event early enough to change your view before the switch happens. The problem is false positives: you don't know if the new active window will still be in your app or if the user is fully switching away.

--Rob

Sunday, October 20, 2013 4:50 PM
  • There is no direct way to control this, but I believe that you'll get a CoreWindow.Activated event early enough to change your view before the switch happens. The problem is false positives: you don't know if the new active window will still be in your app or if the user is fully switching away.

--Rob

Is there any other way? That will fire with popups and all sorts of false positives like you said.
    Sunday, October 20, 2013 6:56 PM
  • There isn't any significantly different way. Any event that is early enough for you to change the view is too early to know for sure if the user is leaving the app. You will need to come up with some app-specific heuristic to determine how to deal with activation changes within the app.

I'll file a feature request to provide a better way in future releases.

--Rob

• Marked as answer by Anne Jing Tuesday, October 29, 2013 9:08 AM
    Monday, October 21, 2013 11:51 PM
  • Hi

Did the feature request ever make it into Windows 8 or 8.1

I have the same issue but cannot find any solution

Best regards

Patrick

Thursday, May 28, 2015 10:49 AM