SharePoint Version History RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I want to enable version history for my Document library created on WSS 3.0 site and I do know how to do that. But before going with this I have few questions and need help.

1.        How does storage affected with the versions? For example if I have 1 mb of document does every minor and major version takes the same size or it will be less than the exact file?

2.        What is the good number recommended for the versions to be maintained for a SharePoint library?

Many Thanks in advance.

BR/Manish

Manish
    Thursday, January 13, 2011 4:25 PM

Answers

• How can I find the changes done on a word or excel document uploaded in a document library with the help of version history.

I don't use version history usually so just regard the following "answer" as being what I think and not what I know.

*As far as I know* you don't see the differences in SharePoint and so the only way to see the differences is to download the different versions of the document and run comparison software to list out the differences for you.

As for your main question (Do you think enabling version history is going to really help me), only you can tell. It depends on your needs. I used to keep in a private *me only* all the different versions of SharePoint KB articles in a SP (WSS 2.0 - it was a long time ago) document library (as a copy/paste document) so I could try to work out what they had changed between v 1.0 and v 2.0 of the document. Having versions was useful for me for that and it saved me printing out the different versions. But many times I'm sure people just think versions are a nice thing to have when they don't really need them. It all depends on your needs.

If you for instance use SP to store legal documents you probably must have a record of changes made to them so versions are one way of getting that. But as with so much non-dedicated software, versions in SharePoint don't have the full power of dedicated Version Control software - hence the same size files per version rather than just the difference and hence (probably) the lack of a list of what has changed between versions.

Mike

SP 2010 "FAQ" (mainly useful links): http://wssv4faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    WSS3/MOSS FAQ (FAQ and Links) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    Both also have links to extensive book lists and to (free) on-line chapters
    • Marked as answer by M.Sharma Monday, January 17, 2011 8:08 AM
    Saturday, January 15, 2011 4:58 AM

All replies

• Versions in SharePoint are not storage efficient.

Each version - large or small - will be just as large as the original.   (Or larger if you add a lot of content)

There is no recommended "good number" but you can imagine that with each version being large as each other it is maybe a good idea to keep the number of versions well down. I would have as a maximum in normal cases no more than 10 full versions (and wouldn't be too bothered if told to set the number at less than that)

Thursday, January 13, 2011 6:58 PM
  • Thanks Mike.

As you said the major and minor versions take the same or large size as the original. So enabling the version history for a document library is going to increase the storage every time a version is created.

Do you think enabling version history is going to really help me as it do not help me to find the changes done with  on a document unless I restore it back?

How can I find the changes done on a word or excel document uploaded in a document library with the help of version history.

I know we can compare the changes done on a page in Moss 2007, but how do I find the same in case of documents.

Once again thank you for the quick response.

Manish

Friday, January 14, 2011 7:55 AM
  • How can I find the changes done on a word or excel document uploaded in a document library with the help of version history.

I don't use version history usually so just regard the following "answer" as being what I think and not what I know.

*As far as I know* you don't see the differences in SharePoint and so the only way to see the differences is to download the different versions of the document and run comparison software to list out the differences for you.

As for your main question (Do you think enabling version history is going to really help me), only you can tell. It depends on your needs. I used to keep in a private *me only* all the different versions of SharePoint KB articles in a SP (WSS 2.0 - it was a long time ago) document library (as a copy/paste document) so I could try to work out what they had changed between v 1.0 and v 2.0 of the document. Having versions was useful for me for that and it saved me printing out the different versions. But many times I'm sure people just think versions are a nice thing to have when they don't really need them. It all depends on your needs.

If you for instance use SP to store legal documents you probably must have a record of changes made to them so versions are one way of getting that. But as with so much non-dedicated software, versions in SharePoint don't have the full power of dedicated Version Control software - hence the same size files per version rather than just the difference and hence (probably) the lack of a list of what has changed between versions.

Mike

• Marked as answer by M.Sharma Monday, January 17, 2011 8:08 AM
    Saturday, January 15, 2011 4:58 AM
  • Thanks Mike!!!
    Manish
    Monday, January 17, 2011 8:16 AM