none
ISingleResult question. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

i have a stored procedure to delete entries from a table that goes like this:

-----------------------------
    set nocount on

declare @description varchar(100)
    set @description = (select Description from Permissions  where VariableID = @VariableID)   

if @description is not null
        select @description
    else
        begin   
            delete from SystemVariables where VariableID = @VariableID
            select ''
        end
    set nocount off
    return
    ---------------------

I want to examine the string that i get from it so to inform the user if the deletion was successfull or not.
    I added it to the Linq-To-SQL designer and i see that it generated a function that returns an ISingleResult<SystemVariables_deleteResult>

If i say something like this:

string result = datacontext.SystemVariables_delete(entry.VariableID).ToString();

i get back the type name for this interface and not the string that sp returns.

So, how i can specify that this stored procedure returns a string so i will be able to get it back ?

Thanks a lot for any help.
    Wednesday, September 2, 2009 10:51 AM

Answers

• ISingleResult is actually an IEnumerable (despite the name). If you know it will always return only one row, it is safe to do this:

var results = datacontext.SystemVariables_delete(entry.VariableID);

string result = results.First().xxx;
    Where xxx is the appropriate property on the class "SystemVariables_deleteResult".

More info about ISingleResult here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb534556.aspx

• Marked as answer by King Kikapu Wednesday, September 2, 2009 11:43 AM
    Wednesday, September 2, 2009 11:15 AM

All replies

• ISingleResult is actually an IEnumerable (despite the name). If you know it will always return only one row, it is safe to do this:

string result = results.First().xxx;
    Where xxx is the appropriate property on the class "SystemVariables_deleteResult".

More info about ISingleResult here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb534556.aspx

• Marked as answer by King Kikapu Wednesday, September 2, 2009 11:43 AM
    Wednesday, September 2, 2009 11:15 AM

string
     result = results.First().xxx;

Hi and thanks for the (ultra fast) reply!

So, i code it like you said:

var results = db.SystemVariables_delete(entry.VariableID);
                    string result = results.First().Column1;

but Column1 always returns null and i cannot figure out why...

I changed the sp to contain only this (and nothing else):

select 'something' as col

and it stills returns me null...I am very frustrated, i only want to get the string "something" back...

Any ideas ?

Thanks again for the help!

Wednesday, September 2, 2009 11:30 AM
  • I figured out what the problem was...

The Linq-to-SQL designer seemed to be unable to re-fetch correctly the stored procedure after the change i made and so "Column1" was it's guess where it should have given me the name "col", as i was specified in the sp.

This was going on even if i deleted and re-added the sp to the designer and doing several "refresh" on it (in database explorer).

I shutdown VS and restarted it and do the same thing again and this time it is worked.

I can now get the results i need but the whole designer-story was scaring enough...
    Wednesday, September 2, 2009 11:48 AM