c101a7d1 errors installing app update - help needed RRS feed

• Question

• We have a WP 8.0 Silverlight app.  It costs $4.99.  We released an update this week.  Nothing major changed, just some bugfixes.

Suddenly, customers are reporting c101a7d1 errors installing the update.  I don't believe it's all customers, just a good percentage.  I personally was able to install the update on my personal phone without issues.

We don't have a trial version, we haven't changed our app's name, we haven't changed our application id / sku.  These are the reasons MSFT support gives for this error, but none of them apply to our case.

If users attempt to uninstall/reinstall the app, then they see error code 80004005 and the app doesn't re-install.  So they no longer have access to an app they paid for.

One of our users noticed that the app is no longer present in their purchase history at commerce.microsoft.com, but it does show in their purchase history on windowsphone.com.  I don't know if this is typical, or a one-off situation.

I've talked to Windows Phone support myself, and I was told posting here was the next step, since CS don't have access to the backend store systems.  So here I am.  Any friendly Microsoft people available to help address this?

Thanks.

PS: other apps seem to be seeing the same issue, so we're not the only ones.

http://www.windowscentral.com/what-do-if-youre-having-issues-mytube-20
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/winphone/forum/wp8-wpapps/c101a7d1-when-updating-80004005-when-installing/47fdbb3f-b5c0-46a0-adad-9cdd4d8d78cb

• Moved by Jamles Hez Tuesday, March 3, 2015 8:07 AM
    Saturday, February 28, 2015 12:04 AM

All replies

• Hi mfeingol,

You mentioned you've talked to Windows Phone support, by which channel you talked with them? 

You've also mentioned your app is no longer present in the purchase history at commerce.microsoft.com, have you tried to contact the support team? As i know dev forum seems not a good place for such question, if you can share me more information i will redirect you to the correct support channel.

--James

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, March 2, 2015 3:37 AM
  • I started at http://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/how-to/wp-support

They told me I should post here, in order to engage developer support.

What is the correct support channel for application developers looking for support when the Windows Phone Store has a bug?

Monday, March 2, 2015 6:18 PM
  • Hi mfeingol,

I would move the question to this forum: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=wpsubmit

Developing for Windows Phone forum is for developing issues before publishing the app, and I think you would get more sufficient suggestion by submitting and publishing app forum.

Thanks for your understanding.

--James

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, March 3, 2015 8:07 AM
  • Hi mfeingol,

My app is also affected by the issue and I've been in contact with MS Support for a month now with no resolution in sight.

By any chance, did you link the app to a reserved name in that update? Also, was your app ever offered for free at least once in the past? I'm just trying to see if there's a correlation here so that we can feed Microsoft with more clues for their investigation. Thanks.
    Tuesday, March 3, 2015 12:10 PM
  • Jason-O:

We linked our WP app to a Windows app many updates ago, with no apparent issues.  Our app was offered for free about 14 months ago, and then we changed the price - again, with no apparent issues.

The only thing we did recently that I can imagine even being remotely relevant was to associate an early WP 8.1 native app port with the store.  I believe that's a read-only operation that just pulls the universal app name, but who knows...

Tuesday, March 3, 2015 5:32 PM