SSIS Import/Export Wizard: "Unexpected Unrecoverable Error" RRS feed

• Question

• For whatever reason, whenever the SSIS Import/Export Wizard needs to display an error message, it throws up "Unexpected Unrecoverable Error" instead. The three buttons - Abort, Retry, and Ignore - all cause the wizard to close. I see some activity in Process Monitor that looks like DTSWizard.exe is probing around for some System.Web assemblies, and not finding them. I'm running 2008 SP1 on Win 7 x86, and I've reinstalled the client tools and Integration Services. Anybody else seen this issue? Should I file a report on Connect?
    Wednesday, August 4, 2010 1:57 PM

Answers

• Okay, I think I fixed it. If anybody else runs into this problem, here's a quick hack:

Edit "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\DTS\Binn\DTSWizard.exe.config" (run Notepad, etc. as Administrator), and comment out/delete <supportedRuntime version="v4.0"/> . Leave the line about v2.0.50727 alone. I'm now getting proper error messages instead of outright program crashes, which is nice if you don't want to have to completely set up the import again after it crashes trying to notify you of a primary key violation or something.

• Marked as answer by davidbrit2 Wednesday, August 4, 2010 6:48 PM
    Wednesday, August 4, 2010 6:48 PM

All replies

• Hi Davidbrit2,

It seems to be SSIS Import/ Export is not able to receive status from background process. Most of the application in vista or win 7 versions needs to be run "Run as administrator" permission. Just try to run the import export wizard using "Run as Administrator".

Ramesh S
    www.sequalserver.com
    Wednesday, August 4, 2010 2:34 PM
  • Alright, I tried that, but it still reports "Unexpected Unrecoverable Error" in lieu of any more standard error messages, and then promptly dies. I've been running Win 7 with UAC enabled for at least a few months now, so that would be rather puzzling why it would somehow become an issue anyway.

Are there any useful log files that might have more details about the crash?

Wednesday, August 4, 2010 6:41 PM
  • Okay, I think I fixed it. If anybody else runs into this problem, here's a quick hack:

Edit "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\DTS\Binn\DTSWizard.exe.config" (run Notepad, etc. as Administrator), and comment out/delete <supportedRuntime version="v4.0"/> . Leave the line about v2.0.50727 alone. I'm now getting proper error messages instead of outright program crashes, which is nice if you don't want to have to completely set up the import again after it crashes trying to notify you of a primary key violation or something.

• Marked as answer by davidbrit2 Wednesday, August 4, 2010 6:48 PM
    Wednesday, August 4, 2010 6:48 PM
  • Thanks for this post - been looking for ages and great solution. Worked a trreat.
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 6:58 AM
  • The strange thing is I wasn't able to recreate the problem on a VM by simply installing Management Studio and .NET 4.0, which looked like they had been conflicting on my system. There must be some very minor detail that throws it out of whack. Oh well, it's an easy fix at least.
    • Proposed as answer by Marco Gallinari Wednesday, December 14, 2011 2:31 PM
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 3:39 PM
  • I've had the same problem importing an Excel 2007, but I've just installed AccessDatabaseEngine.exe (2007 Office System Driver: Data Connectivity Components) and all became perfect, without dropping v4.0 line....
    Sunday, October 17, 2010 11:59 AM
  • Thanks davidbrit2, worked perfectly
    Saturday, December 4, 2010 12:47 AM
  • Hello there,

I also had the same problem.  Massively frustrating it was, too!

Thanks to the advice given here, I have now been able to resolve these issue.  However, I appear to have located an alternative solution: Download and install the .NET Framework 4.  (I thought I already had this.  I don't know if I had a part of it missing, or an older version)

Early signs are promising, and I feel happier for installing an update rather than editing the config file :)

You can get hold of the .NET Framework 4 here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=9cfb2d51-5ff4-4491-b0e5-b386f32c0992&displaylang=en

• Proposed as answer by Shawn Hanks Tuesday, December 21, 2010 3:06 AM
    Tuesday, December 7, 2010 10:44 AM
  • Hello there,

I also had the same problem.  Massively frustrating it was, too!

Thanks to the advice given here, I have now been able to resolve these issue.  However, I appear to have located an alternative solution: Download and install the .NET Framework 4.  (I thought I already had this.  I don't know if I had a part of it missing, or an older version)

Early signs are promising, and I feel happier for installing an update rather than editing the config file :)

You can get hold of the .NET Framework 4 here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=9cfb2d51-5ff4-4491-b0e5-b386f32c0992&displaylang=en

thank you Colin, this is great.....

I have .net framework 4 installed and the error is now fixed.....Win7+SQL2008R2

Tuesday, December 21, 2010 3:08 AM
  • Good stuff :) Since I did this, everything remained fine for me, too :)
    Tuesday, December 21, 2010 9:46 AM
  • That Framework 4 download gets it.
    Thank-you, Colin.

Wednesday, December 22, 2010 4:03 PM
  • .NET F4 download fixed it for me. Thx Colin.

Monday, January 10, 2011 9:32 PM
  • The .NET Framework 4 download worked for me too.  Thanks Colin.  It was a very weird and frustrating error message, so it's great to have the fix.

Thanks,

Bill

Tuesday, January 18, 2011 6:15 PM
  • Colin, thanks, that worked for me as well.  One thing to note:

• For some reason I only had the .NET Framework 4 Client Profile installed on my Win 7 Pro laptop. With this version, the SSIS Import/Export Wizard crashed.
    • When I installed the full .NET Framework 4 Extended, the wizard then worked fine. So my install shows both .NET 4 Client Profile & Extended.

Much obliged!

Phil Brandt

Monday, January 24, 2011 12:24 AM
  • Thanks davidbrit2. You saved me hours of mucking about.

The nerd in me wants to know exactly what's going wrong here, but the practitioner in me is just happy to get on with doing what I'm doing!

Friday, February 4, 2011 12:06 PM
  • Rob_Levy,

You might like to check the rest of the thread to see that installing the .NET Framework 4 will also resolve the problem.

blackhook's comments above probably help shed some light on what is actually going on.  People are probably getting the ".NET Framework 4 Client Profile" from somewhere, including most of what the SSIS Wizard requires to run... But not quite everything that it needs to properly run!

Friday, February 4, 2011 12:42 PM
  • Wow, thanks, worked like a charm.
    Tuesday, October 25, 2011 1:48 PM
  • Hey,

I tried changing this config file. But while saving this file, it says access in denied.

Wednesday, November 16, 2011 5:58 PM
  • Installing the .NET Framework worked here too.

Windows 7 64-bit.

Tuesday, November 22, 2011 8:03 PM
  • THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!

The config file edit did not work for me--however downloading the .NET Framework did keep the application from crashing.  This allowed me to see the error report.  It turns out the memo fields from Access 2010 were causing the blow up on import. I concantenated them to a 255 char text field and everything imported just fine.

Thanks again
    CRG 

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 7:05 PM
  • I've had the same problem importing an Excel 2007, but I've just installed AccessDatabaseEngine.exe (2007 Office System Driver: Data Connectivity Components) and all became perfect, without dropping v4.0 line....

I tried to install that AccessDatabaseEngine.exe after reading this post and was greeted with yet another helpful error. "The installation failed."

*rolleyes*

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 3:59 PM
  • Hi All,

I was also facing the same issue after installing the .Net Framework 4 Client...  so when i uninstall the .Net Framework client.

It seems the problem resolved because after that i not faced the same issue.

This problem is due to .Net Framework 4....

If you think my suggestion is useful, please rate it as helpful.

If it has helped you to resolve the problem, please Mark it as Answer.

Varinder Sandhu www.varindersandhu.in

Monday, August 20, 2012 4:06 AM
  • Let us know if you see this issue in SQL 2014

you can create a SQL 2014 Virtual machine on Windows Azure - http://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/pricing/free-trial/
    or
    You can download SQL 2014 from http://technet.microsoft.com/en-US/evalcenter/dn205290

Thanks
    Sethu Srinivasan [MSFT]
    SQL Server

Thanks, Sethu Srinivasan [MSFT] SQL Server http://blogs.msdn.com/sqlagent -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- This posting is provided &amp;quot;AS IS&amp;quot; with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click &amp;quot;Mark as Answer&amp;quot; and &amp;quot;Vote as Helpful&amp;quot; on posts that help you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, April 9, 2014 12:22 AM
  • Microsoft, it takes you four years to even reply and acknowledge this problem, and you don't even say "please" when you ask us to test it for you?
    Wednesday, April 9, 2014 8:52 AM