Windows Runtime API FileOpenPicker Feature Suggestion

General discussion

• Hi,

I've been developing windows store app for about two months. I love the fresh start of the Windows Runtime API. I have so much positive things to say about the new approach.

I search all over msdn website and I could not find a better place to give my feedback. So I hope what I post here can reach the correct team?

It is about FileOpenPicker class. Right now, there is a way to suggest start up folder location. and FileOpenPicker can resume user last visited folder location. It is all great.

However after careful considerations, I would suggest FileOpenPicker enable developers to specify a file name to be selected and scroll into view.

For example, my app enable users to browse an image to use as background. However due to user's preference and a large collection of image. The images a user want to use end up in a single folder with 100 images. For demonstration purpose let us say the images are named from image000.jpg to image099.jpg

my app allows them to pick an image through file open picker. Users want to try out image000.jpg to image099.jpg to see how an image work in my app. He is going to pick from image000.jpg to image099.jpg in reverse order.

So he opens a fileopenpicker, and scroll all the way to the end and pick image 099.jpg.

next time he opens again the file open picker, and scroll all the way to the end and pick image 098.jpg

Because fileopenpicker does not remember his last selected file. It is difficult for users to do this. It would be much easier for the user if the fileopenpicker can let developer specify a file name to be selected and scroll into view upon opening.

Of course, developer can built a list view on his own to enumerate the files and present them to users, again it is a lot of more work.

With this little enhancement it would be handy in a lot of scenarios, and it is optional for developers. IMHO, it should not introduce any bad implications into the API.

Does all these make sense?

Friday, January 17, 2014 3:03 PM

All replies

• Hi hereafter,

Thanks for your suggestions.

I will report it to associated engineers.:)

Regards!

Xiaoliang

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, January 20, 2014 1:37 AM