Driver development for TI device RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Microsoft support team,

I am currently developing WDK driver for PCI device. I am beginner in driver development and I found a KMDF WDK driver project for generic PCI device (PLX9x5x PCI Driver) from your website. However, in my attempt to adapt this driver for my PCI device, which is a TI TMS320c6657 DSP evaluation board, I get stuck into some problems. My objective is to send data from PC (Root complex) via DMA transfer on PCIe interface to the the DSP evaluation board (End Point) for signal processing. And I am not able to match the sample PCI driver with my device. I am seeking a starting guide on how I modify the the generic driver to suit my specific PCI device.

Thanks.
    --

With regards,

Alemayehu

Saturday, February 7, 2015 6:41 AM

Answers

• I know of no guide to do this.  What I recommend is you walk the driver, starting with DriverEntry.  By walk the driver, I mean for each function, review its purpose in the WDK documentation, and look at what the sample does.  Cleanup the function to reflect the needs of your device, then go on to the functions that call references.

Besides the PCI driver sample, take a look at the minimum Toaster function driver, this is a good sample with most functions empty that you can use to get going.  As you cleanup run the compiler with /W4 and Code Analysis on the code to catch mistakes.  For the code analysis change the options to enable all the rules.

Don Burn Windows Filesystem and Driver Consulting Website: http://www.windrvr.com

Saturday, February 7, 2015 2:31 PM

All replies

• I know of no guide to do this.  What I recommend is you walk the driver, starting with DriverEntry.  By walk the driver, I mean for each function, review its purpose in the WDK documentation, and look at what the sample does.  Cleanup the function to reflect the needs of your device, then go on to the functions that call references.

Besides the PCI driver sample, take a look at the minimum Toaster function driver, this is a good sample with most functions empty that you can use to get going.  As you cleanup run the compiler with /W4 and Code Analysis on the code to catch mistakes.  For the code analysis change the options to enable all the rules.

Don Burn Windows Filesystem and Driver Consulting Website: http://www.windrvr.com

Saturday, February 7, 2015 2:31 PM
  • If you are good at learning by reading, then most of what you need is available in the WDK docs. Unfortunately, most people do not easily learn just by reading, which is why there are companies that offer training.

-Brian

Azius Developer Training www.azius.com Windows device driver, internals, security, & forensics training and consulting. Blog at www.azius.com/blog

Sunday, February 8, 2015 7:43 PM