none
Installing Windows xp embedded to drive of target device from usb RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.I have a target device with a 2g of nand-flash disk.I want to install my windows embedded images to the disk from a usb flash.I dont want to boot from flash.I want to install from flash to disk.I prepared the flash as bootable with diskpart and formatted as FAT32 in my development machine that is windows 7.after formatting i used bootsect with

bootsect /nt52 usb_Letter: /force /mbr 

.And then I copied my image files generated from target designer to flash.And also added the bootprep.exe.When i build the image it gives some errors because of drivers and i ignore it cause i will install the drivers after os setup.Also I had ewf for the disk on target device.1.5gb for C drive and 400 mb for EWF.When building image i disabled ewf.So I have a image without some drivers and ewf but ewf is not enabled first time.When i plugged the usb FBA starts but it takes so much time and restarts and restarts.What does it cause? framework component ot ewf component?..

And if it goes true i plan to run bootprep.exe.Am i in the wrong way?.Basically i am trying to install my image to target device.how can be achievable?

Thanks for help

Friday, February 21, 2014 8:03 AM

All replies

• XP Embedded never had a clean solution for transferring images from development system to the disk. I have been using a USB solution since FP2007 was released.

For the USB disk, you want to create a small image that will be used to transfer the main image onto the internal disk. This transfer image will be different than the main image that goes in the internal drive. Try using the WinLogon Sample Macro component and add the USB boot to create the transfer image.

Also, build with errors is a red flag that something is wrong with a component or with the configuration.

www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com / Book Author - Pro Guide to WE8S, Pro Guide to WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET

Friday, February 21, 2014 4:59 PM