delete post RRS feed

Answers

• You should ask at your Toys R Us if they can order the LEGO NXT for you. Alternatively, places like Amazon sell online but I don't know what their shipping policies are for Saudi Arabia. I've placed orders in the past in Germany and Australia and had stuff shipped to me.

Trevor

Thursday, April 23, 2009 5:33 AM

All replies

• One big advantage with going for a popular robot like the Lego Mindstorms is that there are lots of resources, books and people to help you if you have questons or problems.

If you build your own, well you are on your own. . . . Unless you happen to belong to a robotics club or other group where there are other people to help you when somethign goes wrong. You don't say where you live; if in a big city ytou should easily be able to find such a group and they should be able to show you the robots they have built and/or purchased and give you excellent advice.

If you happen to live somewhere that does not have such a group, you are probably better off going with a "proven" robot like the Lego Mindstorms untill you learn the basics. At that point you can start thinking about designing and building your own unique robot.
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 7:15 PM
  • Hi John,
    thanks for your reply....
    I live in Saudi Arabia...
    I went to toys R us but didn't find the lego mindstorms, i think that building my own robot is even harder because of the complications of finding the parts here...
    I'm not sure where to start!
    should i start with line following robots?
    or what :)
    thanks a lot :):):)

Thursday, April 16, 2009 9:04 PM
  • >I live in Saudi Arabia...
    >I went to toys R us but didn't find the lego mindstorms...

Is it possible to order one through the internet?

I am in the Tampa, Florida, USA and usually attend events at the local Microsoft office about once a week. I also have a good friend who works for Microsoft who lives quite near me. Tampa is a large city, and even with all these resources it can be quite hard finding books, magizines, parts etc. I can only imagine how difficult it must be in Saudi Arabia.

While I think you will probably enjoy building a robot from scratch _someday_, you should definately start with one of the tried and proven robots, like Lego Mindstorms NXT, as a first step. That way you can focus on programming and operating it rather than wondering if you have a bad solder joint etc. when nothing works.

There may well be other robots other than the Lego which would be suitable, unfortunately I do not have any first hand experience with them.

Perhaps someone else can make a suggestion?
    Friday, April 17, 2009 2:06 AM
  • You should ask at your Toys R Us if they can order the LEGO NXT for you. Alternatively, places like Amazon sell online but I don't know what their shipping policies are for Saudi Arabia. I've placed orders in the past in Germany and Australia and had stuff shipped to me.

Trevor

Thursday, April 23, 2009 5:33 AM
  • Zain, I see you've changed you user name to "Delete User" and have deleted your original post; making the thread pretty confusing!

I'm going to just mark this answered again.

If there's a reason you're reopening these, please mail roboinfo@microsoft.com.

Thanks!

Tuesday, November 20, 2012 8:06 PM