Does Azure Storage have equivalent of Amazon Reduced Redundancy Storage? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm just wondering if there is a cheaper version of azure blob storage,  like an equivalent of Amazon Reduced Redundancy Storage which is a cheaper version of Amzon S3, it is $0.093/GB and 99.99% durability, compared to S3 $0.140/GB and 99.999999999% durability.

I'd also like to know what advantage or disadvantages I may run into if I use a hybrid solution of Azure Table Storage for my data and Amazon S3 for blob storage?

Monday, February 21, 2011 11:43 PM

Answers

• No, Windows Azure storage doesn't have a lower-redundancy/lower-cost option like that.

The downside of using a mix of WA storage and AWS storage is that the two can never be in the same data center, so wherever your app runs (in WA or in AWS), some of its data is far away, which means higher latency, as well as bandwidth costs. Accessing WA storage from a WA application in the same data center doesn't incur bandwidth charges, but if you have to go out to S3 to access something, you'll have to pay for the bandwidth. (The same is true in reverse... EC2 to S3 is free in the same location, but reaching out to WA storage would cost in bandwidth.)

• Marked as answer by Mog Liang Monday, February 28, 2011 9:59 AM
    Tuesday, February 22, 2011 2:41 AM

All replies

• No, Windows Azure storage doesn't have a lower-redundancy/lower-cost option like that.

The downside of using a mix of WA storage and AWS storage is that the two can never be in the same data center, so wherever your app runs (in WA or in AWS), some of its data is far away, which means higher latency, as well as bandwidth costs. Accessing WA storage from a WA application in the same data center doesn't incur bandwidth charges, but if you have to go out to S3 to access something, you'll have to pay for the bandwidth. (The same is true in reverse... EC2 to S3 is free in the same location, but reaching out to WA storage would cost in bandwidth.)

• Marked as answer by Mog Liang Monday, February 28, 2011 9:59 AM
    Tuesday, February 22, 2011 2:41 AM
  • Is it possible to deploy an app to different datacenter/locations, like America and Asia, and having the requests to each location save blobs to the Azure Storage in its datacenter to have better latency and save cost?
    Tuesday, February 22, 2011 3:21 PM
  • Yes.
    Tuesday, February 22, 2011 6:23 PM