none
finding job cost efficiency

Question

• HI 

i was trying to figure out cost efficiency for my job, if i am over allocating AUs and not actually using them.

as mentioned in the video in Microsoft Virtual Academy, the job details in Visual studio will show "total computeTime" "Running" and "Parallelism" for job and efficiency can be calculated as totalComputetime/(runnint * parallelism).

But in new version of Visual studio, i don't see "totalComputetime". how can i calculate efficiency.

Thanks

singhhome

Thursday, October 12, 2017 6:50 AM

All replies

• Hi singhhome,

In recent releases we removed TotalComputeTime as it confuses customers sometime, if you want to learn more about your job efficiency, you can follow the steps as follows:

1. Load Profile (button on the top right of Job View)

2. Go to Diagnostics tab in Job View

3. See more Analysis for Resource Usage, you will see something like below screenshot, and if you find your running usage (red line) is far below allocation (blue line), you are over allocating and you can consider to decrease the parallelism allocation.

Over allocation

And we are working on the improvement for the job efficiency feature, if you are interested in seeing the new design and providing feedback, feel free to shoot me email at yanacai@microsoft.com. Your feedback is very important to us.

Thank you,

Yanan

Thursday, October 12, 2017 9:15 AM
  • thanks for reply.

Is there a any doc/tutorial to get more idea on interpreting AU graph? In my case graph shows executed for 39 secs, till 19 sec no au usage is shown in graph, then it shows for running then queuing . so just wondering what job was doing for 19 secs, then running and then queuing. I thought after running it can never go to queue.

Thanks

singhhome

Friday, October 13, 2017 12:44 AM