none
Purpose of Export button in Publish to Microsoft Azure App Service

Question

Hello,

I am using Visual Studio 2017 Community and a DreamSpark student Azure account to follow this tutorial.

When I get to the step to "Tap Create on the Create App Service dialog", it processes for a while and then gives a series of error messages.

If I close that dialog screen(which is my only option), the only thing I can do is Create or Cancel.

Since I get the same error if I click Create again, my only option is to Cancel.

The problem is, once I click Cancel, it loses all of the settings that I have entered and I have to reenter them again if I want to do another create.

I tried using the Export button before clicking Create and saved a file in the default "json" format, but when I try to Import from the publish dialog screen, it looks for a file with an extension of "publishsettings".

Does anybody know what the purpose of the Export button is?

I tried to Google an answer and could not find anything.

Also, Does anyone know how to save my publish settings before clicking Create?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks,
    Tony

Stop The World, I want To Get Off! ........... Life Isn't About Waiting For The Storm To Pass ... It's About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

Thursday, April 13, 2017 1:33 PM

Answers

• Sara,

Thanks for all of your help.

Here is an answer to the question I asked: Answer

Thanks,
    Tony

Stop The World, I want To Get Off! ........... Life Isn't About Waiting For The Storm To Pass ... It's About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

• Marked as answer by Carneno Wednesday, April 26, 2017 2:56 AM
    Wednesday, April 26, 2017 2:53 AM

All replies

• Hi Carneno,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

Have you tried to verify your Azure account like the tutorial describers? Please verify your Azure account. You can open a free Azure account or Activate Visual Studio subscriber benefits, it can help other to check if this issue caused by the Azure account or other factors.

>> When I get to the step to "Tap Create on the Create App Service dialog", it processes for a while and then gives a series of error messages.

Could you please share the error message that you meet? It will help us to research this issue, thank you for your cooperation.

Please try to create an ASP.NET web application (not .NET core type) to Azure App Service and check if this issue persists or not.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, April 14, 2017 9:00 AM
  • Hello Sara.

Thanks for your help.

Have you tried to verify your Azure account like the tutorial describers?

Yes, I have done this.  My Microsoft account information automatically shows up in the upper right hand corner of the Create dialog box:

Could you please share the error message that you meet? It will help us to research this issue

Here is the messages that I get when it stops with an error:

Template deployment failed. Deployment operation statuses:
    Succeeded: /subscriptions/81587547-dfc8-410a-9b19-7a2beb5a106e/resourceGroups/TonyResourceGroup/providers/Microsoft.Web/serverfarms/WebApplication120170414084354Plan ()

Succeeded: /subscriptions/81587547-dfc8-410a-9b19-7a2beb5a106e/resourceGroups/TonyResourceGroup/providers/Microsoft.Sql/servers/webapplication120170414084354dbserver ()

Failed: /subscriptions/81587547-dfc8-410a-9b19-7a2beb5a106e/resourceGroups/TonyResourceGroup/providers/Microsoft.Sql/servers/webapplication120170414084354dbserver/databases/WebApplication120170414084354_db ()
    40619: The edition 'Free' does not support the database max size '1073741824'.
    Succeeded: /subscriptions/81587547-dfc8-410a-9b19-7a2beb5a106e/resourceGroups/TonyResourceGroup/providers/Microsoft.Sql/servers/webapplication120170414084354dbserver/firewallrules/AllowAllAzureIPs ()

Succeeded: /subscriptions/81587547-dfc8-410a-9b19-7a2beb5a106e/resourceGroups/TonyResourceGroup/providers/Microsoft.Web/sites/WebApplication120170414084354 ()

Succeeded: /subscriptions/81587547-dfc8-410a-9b19-7a2beb5a106e/resourceGroups/TonyResourceGroup/providers/Microsoft.Web/sites/WebApplication120170414084354/config/connectionstrings ()

Please try to create an ASP.NET web application (not .NET core type) to Azure App Service and check if this issue persists or not.

Yes, I did try that and received the same error.

Thanks,
    Tony

• Edited by Carneno Friday, April 14, 2017 1:18 PM
    Friday, April 14, 2017 1:16 PM
  • Hi Tony,

Thank you for your update and detail description.

>>40619: Theedition 'Free'does notsupport the database max size '1073741824'.
    You are trying to create/deploy a database into the Free DB tier. This is limited to 32MB. You have to either change the max size of the DB to be 32MB, or create a different database tier, please have a look at this similar issue: Changing SQL Server database maximum size in Visual Studio for uploading in Azure

If you meet any issue about change the max size or change a database pricing titer, please redirect to this appropriate forum: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/home?forum=ssdsgetstarted to see for a more professional support, since our forum is to discuss Visual Studio WPF/SL Designer, Visual Studio Guidance Automation Toolkit, Developer Documentation and Help System, and Visual Studio Editor.

Sorry for this inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 17, 2017 3:05 AM
  • Hello Sara.

Thanks for your help.

I am working with a Microsoft Support Engineer using phone support to determine how to publish a 32 MB database to Azure SQL from Visual Studio 2017.

With that said, I would like to inform you that the reason why I started this thread is to find out why I lose all of my settings after an error occurs and my only option is to close the error screen.  That is very annoying to be forced to reenter all of those settings after putting them in before clicking Create.  There should be a way to save the publish settings before clicking Create.

You can see what the screen looks like from a previous post in this thread of Friday, April 14, 2017 1:16 PM

Any help that you can provide to resolve that issue would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks,
    Tony

Monday, April 17, 2017 5:11 PM
  • Hi Carneno,

Thank you for your explanation and sorry for my misunderstanding.

Refer to your description, it looks like you can try to download and import a .publishsettings file for a destination web site, or you can connect directly to your Windows Azure Account from Visual Studio. For the detail information, please have a look at the following documents that maybe helpful for your requirement:

How to: Deploy a Web Project Using One-Click Publish in Visual Studio

How to Import a Publish Profile from Azure

How to: Download and Import Publish Settings and Subscription Information

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support

Tuesday, April 18, 2017 2:15 AM
  • Hello Sara.

Thanks for your continued help on this issue.

For the detail information, please have a look at the following documents that maybe helpful for your requirement:

How to: Deploy a Web Project Using One-Click Publish in Visual Studio

How to Import a Publish Profile from Azure

How to: Download and Import Publish Settings and Subscription Information

The links that you provided are either out of date or are not relevant to the technology that I am using.  The link for the tutorial that I have in my opening post is for .Net Core and I am using Visual Studio 2017.

I would not even think about putting WebMatrix on my computer.

Thanks,
    Tony

Tuesday, April 18, 2017 4:59 PM
  • Hi Carneno,

I'm apologize for my misunderstanding.  

>>The link for the tutorial that I have in my opening post is for .Net Core and I am using Visual Studio 2017.

For the issue about .Net Core development, please redirect to this appropriate forum: https://forums.asp.net/1255.aspx/1?ASP+NET+Core to seek for a more professional support, our forum is to discuss the VS IDE, thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support

Wednesday, April 19, 2017 6:35 AM
  • Hello Sara.

Thanks for your help.

I have posted my question in the forum that you recommended.  You can view it here.

I have not received a reply yet.  Maybe nobody knows the purpose of the Export button on the Create App Service screen.

Thanks,
    Tony

Monday, April 24, 2017 12:53 PM
  • Hi Carneno,

Thank you for your update and not sure why your thread not be answered, sorry for this inconvenience.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support

Wednesday, April 26, 2017 2:43 AM
  • Sara,

Thanks for all of your help.

Here is an answer to the question I asked: Answer

Thanks,
    Tony

• Marked as answer by Carneno Wednesday, April 26, 2017 2:56 AM
    Wednesday, April 26, 2017 2:53 AM