Telling if data has changed RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am just getting started with MDS and trying to plan out how we should apply it.

We have two large LOB systems, and then multiple small systems that consume data from them for reporting/analysis.  Of course, results are inconsistent depending on which LOB system the data ultimately came from...

I can arrange for nightly snapshots to come out of the LOB systems to populate my master data, but I can't tell easily whether the data that I get has changed from the previous day's update.  Does MDS offer me any way to tell whether I need to publish a new data set, or do I need to check this myself before starting to populate the staging tables?  If so, what's a good strategy to do this?  Also, can I just push the changes through to the model or do I need to publish a complete new set?

Thanks for your help, sorry if the questions are dumb I am just getting going with it...

Friday, September 24, 2010 9:39 AM

Answers

• Hello Mr Miles,

personally, i check if there are changes in data before populating the staging tables

you can make a ssis package for import, and load data with a custom SQL Command which gets data and a WHERE Close to get only the updated ones.

e.g. : you can use a JOIN with your input table containing data  and a mds subscription view  based on the same data

with a WHERE   mdm.yourMDSSubView.Code IS NULL

when mdm.yourMDSSubView.MemberCode  IS NULL --> new data

mdm.yourMDSSubView.MemberCode IS NOT NULL   --> updated data

if you want to process automatically staging batch only if there are changes, you can use a rowcount in your SSIS data flow with an expression in your control flow :

Xavier Averbouch
    Friday, September 24, 2010 11:43 AM