Finger friendly task switching in desktop mode

General discussion

• Is there a finger friendly way of switching between open windows in desktop mode ? For example, an alternative to alt+tab for touchscreens.

The scenario is: using desktop mode on a slate, portrait mode, my windows maximized, and the taskbar is clipped because of portrait mode and some open windows are on the second row...

Maybe swiping in from the top/bottom of the desktop screen brings up small previews of all open desktop windows, like the Metro IE tab previews ?

Another possibility: a swipe from the bottom/top of desktop mode will be equivalent to alt+tab, bringing up the alt+tab window.
    Monday, September 19, 2011 10:01 PM

All replies

• As far as I know, and I am only using a mouse and keyboard, if you hover over the far left of the screen (or drag it out), you get a thumbnail preview and simple task manager. If not, I believe it will be implemented before release (it was shown in a demo).
    Dustin Harper dharper@mstechpages.com http://www.mstechpages.com --- Windows Help and Support Page
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 3:45 PM
  • Moving the mouse to the left of the screen as you describe (or equivalently, swiping with the finger from the left) only switches between "Desktop" and other open "Metro Apps", not between "legacy windows within the Desktop" inside the "Desktop" itself (the legacy Alt+Tab).

If the "Desktop" behaves just like another MeroApp, then like most MetroApps, swiping from the top or from the bottom should bring up an App-specific bar (for example, MetroIE brings up the address, tabs, back, etc buttons). And the app-specific bar for "Desktop" should include all the open legacy windows.

At the very least, swiping from the top or bottom should mimick pressing "Alt Tab" with the touch keyboard (if you try with the compatibility keyboard, the Alt+Tab switcher stays on screen until a touch selecting the chosen window--very convenient).

Thursday, September 22, 2011 4:33 AM