How to convert windows forms into web forms in .net? RRS feed

• Question

• Dear All,

I am asking about the best tool to convert a vb.net windows forms application into asp.net?

Thankfully, Prashanthi
    Monday, January 9, 2012 10:04 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I doubt that there is a good tool that allows a simply conversion. The result must simply be a very bad user experience (in case you are lucky and such a conversion works). It is a big difference, if everything runs on your local system or if it runs on a central server. Even in a lan, the user experience is bad if every action causes a postback.

So my suggestion is to simply create a new ASP.Net applicaion. If the application was build well, it should be a more or less quick thing, because only the GUI must be designed which can be quite easy for an experienced ASP.Net developer. But that only works fine, if the whole business objects was seperated from the windows forms (Esp. beginners simply do not do that!).

And if you are a beginner (No offence - but the questions just looks like it), then I would suggest to simply go and learn about asp.net in detail (http://asp.net can be a good starting point). Even if you find a conversion tool: You have to maintain it! So maintaining some crap solution even needs more knowledge from my experience because you have to understand what others did!

But feel free to check out solutios like http://www.visualwebgui.com/Gizmox/Landing/tabid/674/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/910/SaaS-Web-Cloud-and-Mobile-enablement-of-your-NET-application.aspx?gclid=CM7AmLLdwq0CFUVTfAod_06DAw. It was just my opinion above so maybe it is even possible without any problems (which I do not belive).

With kind regards,

Konrad

• Proposed as answer by MasaSam Monday, January 9, 2012 1:39 PM
    • Marked as answer by Paul Zhou Tuesday, January 17, 2012 8:54 AM
    Monday, January 9, 2012 10:27 AM
  • Konrad is right there is no simple conversion, but if you have good separation between UI and other application then instead of "converting" it is easy to create another UI, at case in hand with ASP.NET, to replace existing UI (Windows Forms). How hard it is to then create new UI depends on the requirements and how complex old UI is and how much you want to "mimic" the old UI.

Usually for ASP.NET beginner the state management of the application is the first thing to learn well. Because it is completely different from Windows Forms and usually makes moving Windows Forms UI to web hard as is because of the richness of the UI in Windows Forms.

Monday, January 9, 2012 1:39 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I doubt that there is a good tool that allows a simply conversion. The result must simply be a very bad user experience (in case you are lucky and such a conversion works). It is a big difference, if everything runs on your local system or if it runs on a central server. Even in a lan, the user experience is bad if every action causes a postback.

So my suggestion is to simply create a new ASP.Net applicaion. If the application was build well, it should be a more or less quick thing, because only the GUI must be designed which can be quite easy for an experienced ASP.Net developer. But that only works fine, if the whole business objects was seperated from the windows forms (Esp. beginners simply do not do that!).

And if you are a beginner (No offence - but the questions just looks like it), then I would suggest to simply go and learn about asp.net in detail (http://asp.net can be a good starting point). Even if you find a conversion tool: You have to maintain it! So maintaining some crap solution even needs more knowledge from my experience because you have to understand what others did!

But feel free to check out solutios like http://www.visualwebgui.com/Gizmox/Landing/tabid/674/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/910/SaaS-Web-Cloud-and-Mobile-enablement-of-your-NET-application.aspx?gclid=CM7AmLLdwq0CFUVTfAod_06DAw. It was just my opinion above so maybe it is even possible without any problems (which I do not belive).

With kind regards,

Konrad

• Proposed as answer by MasaSam Monday, January 9, 2012 1:39 PM
    Monday, January 9, 2012 10:27 AM
  • Konrad is right there is no simple conversion, but if you have good separation between UI and other application then instead of "converting" it is easy to create another UI, at case in hand with ASP.NET, to replace existing UI (Windows Forms). How hard it is to then create new UI depends on the requirements and how complex old UI is and how much you want to "mimic" the old UI.

Usually for ASP.NET beginner the state management of the application is the first thing to learn well. Because it is completely different from Windows Forms and usually makes moving Windows Forms UI to web hard as is because of the richness of the UI in Windows Forms.

Monday, January 9, 2012 1:39 PM