Trying to create new and separate databases RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm using Visual Studio 2005 Visual Basic and I would like to create multiple lists of addresses and have the lists be separate from each other. I would like to distribute the application. All of the example I can find use the already existing Northwind database. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thank you

Tuesday, June 12, 2007 11:01 PM

Answers

• If ALL the examples you've seen use Northwind then it doesn't sound like you've looked very hard

I'm not sure exactly what you want to know...  I'm also not sure you need to use databases, I mean, just lists of address info?  Just save them as XML files right from the DataSet.  You should be able to find plenty of walkthroughs on using the DataSet deisgner to create a new dataset, insert a new DataTable, configure the table with Columns, build your project, add an instance of the DataSet to the form, and bind controls on the form to the DataSet via BindingSource objects.

Thats actually the basics of it there.  See what you can find by searching these forums and google for the different key phrases mentioned above.

Wednesday, June 13, 2007 2:55 AM

All replies

• If ALL the examples you've seen use Northwind then it doesn't sound like you've looked very hard

I'm not sure exactly what you want to know...  I'm also not sure you need to use databases, I mean, just lists of address info?  Just save them as XML files right from the DataSet.  You should be able to find plenty of walkthroughs on using the DataSet deisgner to create a new dataset, insert a new DataTable, configure the table with Columns, build your project, add an instance of the DataSet to the form, and bind controls on the form to the DataSet via BindingSource objects.

Thats actually the basics of it there.  See what you can find by searching these forums and google for the different key phrases mentioned above.

Wednesday, June 13, 2007 2:55 AM
  • Thank you. I'm new to visual basic and the advice was very helpful.

Cheers

Wednesday, June 13, 2007 2:32 PM