Master Page File Goes Missing on Server Suddenly RRS feed

• Question

• User-939035612 posted

I have a compiled ASP.Net 4.7.2 Web Forms website that I discovered to not be working today. On the server I got the error that Site.master did not exist. I had not uploaded any changes to the server in over a week and I know that I did not delete Site.master from the server. The website is precompiled. This would not be the first time that a precompiled site has returned a missing file error due to a problem compiling the site, but it would be the first time that a file has gone missing after having been properly compiled for some time.

I am currently recompiling and redeploying the site hoping that will solve the problem, but I don't want that to happen again. What could have caused that and how can that be prevented in the future?

Sunday, November 22, 2020 1:05 AM

All replies

• User791773689 posted

Hello,

Did you change the current dirrectory some way ?

Did you verify on the server whether the file is there ?

Sunday, November 22, 2020 7:57 PM
  • User-939035612 posted

I just redeployed the site and it was fixed. I still don't know why the problem arose in the first place or how to keep it from happening again.

Tuesday, November 24, 2020 5:56 AM
  • User-939035612 posted

Just happened today again. Precompiled site's starts suddenly displaying runtime error that site.master does not exist.

Tuesday, December 15, 2020 10:29 PM
  • User791773689 posted

Hello,

Do you have any visibility at the hardware maintaining, or is it subcontracted somehow ?

If you have access to it I should think to verify the consistency of the disk, as you find in the properties of the disk in Windows, in the Tools tab, with a Verify button (and naturally you will need administrator rights to use that).

Generally speaking, when it is a big firm that treats that, it is supposed having hardware OK, and it is particularly strange several times on a long period of time, but I have to admit I see no other track.

I presume the site runs OK when testing on your machine before deploying ?

Tuesday, December 15, 2020 11:36 PM
  • User-939035612 posted

The server is a VPS that I have RDC access to. There have also been problems with the site's Lighthouse speed scores and trouble accessing the database when there RAM use is high.

Wednesday, December 16, 2020 1:32 AM
  • User791773689 posted

Hum, that needs to be taken in account ...

I missed a session about the Cloud yesterday, waiting for the record with eager.

Wednesday, December 16, 2020 1:44 AM