none
Ribbon Visual Designer (VS 2013) support for Outlook 2007 Explorer Ribbon RRS feed

• Question

• I have Visual Studio 2013 and started a new Outlook 2013 VSTO AddIn project.  The AddIn will add a button to the Outlook Explorer Ribbon and must run in Outlook 2007, 2010, and 2013.  I've added a Ribbon Visual Designer to my 2013 Project and it works just fine in Outlook 2013.  But when I tried installing the Addin on a machine with Outlook 2007, my custom button doesn't display on the Outlook Explorer (because Outlook 2007 only has the Ribbon for Inspector windows and not the Explorer).

So I was thinking about putting a check in ThisAddIn_Startup for the version of Outlook.  If the version is 2007, then add the button using the older CommandBar API.  If the version is greater, then do nothing, as the Ribbon Visual Designer will do its job.  Is this a good practice?, or is there a better way to use the Ribbon Visual Designer?

Wednesday, September 17, 2014 9:20 PM

Answers

• Hi,

>>If the version is 2007, then add the button using the older CommandBar API.  If the version is greater, then do nothing, as the Ribbon Visual Designer will do its job.  Is this a good practice?, or is there a better way to use the Ribbon Visual Designer?<<

As far as I know, the main application window in Outlook 2007, known as an Explorer object, still uses command bars introduced in earlier versions of Office. For an Outlook Explorer, you continue to use the object returned by the Explorer.CommandBars property to customize the Outlook window. (refer to Customizing the Ribbon in Outlook 2007)

So I think you are right, we need to use CommandBars to make the it working for the main window of Outlook 2007.

Links below may be helpful:
    Running Solutions in Different Versions of Microsoft Office

Ribbon Overview

Best regards

Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, September 18, 2014 6:56 AM