none
added reference dll not being moved to server when website project published RRS feed

• Question

• I have a website project to which I have added references to Microsoft.SqlServer.DTSRuntimeWrap and Microsoft.SqlServer.ManagedDTS .  My understanding is that when the site gets published to the server the referenced dll s should get moved into the bin folder in \inetpub\sitename .  This does not appear to be happening - the dlls cannot  be found at runtime and when the button is operated that would cause them to be accessed.

The site operates fine if I access it through debug from my vs 2012 .

Could someone tell me what might be wrong? 

Thanks much in advance for any help, Roscoe

Thursday, May 29, 2014 4:29 PM

Answers

• Ok, the first part seems fine then.

So about the publishing. When you publish, is the website still running? Most of the time you can not overwrite a file because it is in use.

Try stopping the application pool before publishing, and then restarting it after you are done. Does that help?

Monday, June 2, 2014 3:36 PM

All replies

• Did you add the references to the main website project, or a different project in the same solution?

I have had this issue before when using Entity Framework. The quick way to fix that for me at that time was to add the reference to the dll to the main website project.

Thursday, May 29, 2014 4:33 PM
  • Hi Christiaan, thanks for the quick reply,

I added the references to the only project in the solution...the solution only contains the one website project.

Thursday, May 29, 2014 5:56 PM
  • Select the reference assembly(Microsoft.SqlServer.DTSRuntimeWrap and Microsoft.SqlServer.ManagedDTS) under References folder in your project. In the property change Copy Local to True. Next time you build or publish, you should have the 2 assemblies in your bin folder.
    Thursday, May 29, 2014 6:36 PM
  • Hi Arunabh, Thanks for the reply,

It's a website project not a web application project so it does not have a references folder.  My understanding is that the referenced dll s are supposed to get moved to the bin folder in \inetpub\websitename at publish time for a website project.

Thursday, May 29, 2014 8:20 PM
  • Hi Rpfinn,

Add bin folder under WebSite directory and add references to Microsoft.SqlServer.DTSRuntimeWrap and Microsoft.SqlServer.ManagedDTS. System will copy assemblies to that folder for you.

Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, May 30, 2014 6:05 AM
  • Hi Herro, Thanks for the reply.

Added a folder bin to my website project. Re-added references.  System did not copy the assemblies to the bin folder in the project.  Further, when I tried to publish the site got exception ...

Unable to add folder 'bin' to the Web site.  Cannot create folder 'bin'.  Access is denied.

...Thanks for any help, Roscoe

Friday, May 30, 2014 2:53 PM
  • When you right click your website project, and go to the Property Pages, you should see the references you added.

When you look for the ones you added, do they show a version number or Auto Update? If they are on Auto Update, try pressing the Update button in the lower right corner, does this give you an error message?

Also, from the error you posted it seems like you don't have the rights to write files to the location you are trying to publish to.

What location are you trying to publish to? Is it a local folder, or directly to a server via FTP?

Saturday, May 31, 2014 11:24 AM
  • I can see the references in the properties page...they are both type GAC and version 11.0.0.0 .  The update button is ghosted out so I cannot operate it.  I'm publishing to a \inetpub\websitename to which my id has full rights so I'm not sure whats going on there,

Thanks for any helps, Roscoe

Monday, June 2, 2014 3:18 PM
  • Ok, the first part seems fine then.

So about the publishing. When you publish, is the website still running? Most of the time you can not overwrite a file because it is in use.

Try stopping the application pool before publishing, and then restarting it after you are done. Does that help?

Monday, June 2, 2014 3:36 PM