How to check Windows RT (Metro-style) compatibility of my app

Question

• We're porting a win32 desktop application to Windows RT. We rewrite some modules such as the rendering module by updating from D3D10 to D3D11, and keep most of modules unchanged. Now our app can run in full-screen mode from VS2012 RC express (Windows SDK for Windows 8 is alos installed), just like other Metro-style apps. But I am not sure whether it is Windows RT (Metro-style) compatible as VS2012 RC express can be used to develop both desktop and Metro apps. Does VS2012 RC have a build-in feature to check and report application Metro compatibility?
    Tuesday, July 31, 2012 2:09 AM

All replies

• You can use Windows App Cert Kit tool to test your application. You can follow this thread to use it
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winappswithnativecode/thread/0ded7174-8e28-4c0c-9895-4b529af781e5

Best regards,
    Jesse

Jesse Jiang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 7:49 AM
  • When "Windows App Certification Kit" goes to the "Select an app to validate" page, my application is not listed. When I click the next button, it reports "you have to select at least one application from the list".
    Tuesday, July 31, 2012 9:58 AM
  • It sounds to me like your application is still a Win32 desktop application.  If your application runs on the Win8 desktop, then you are still using Win32, not WinRT. 

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 2:37 PM
  • It sounds to me like your application is still a Win32 desktop application.  If your application runs on the Win8 desktop, then you are still using Win32, not WinRT. 

I think my application might be a Metro style app. It runs in full screen mode, is shown as a thumbnail on the left column of the screen alongside with Windows 8 build-in Metro-style apps like Mail, Store, IE mobile. I also run a number of Window 8 code sample apps that are Metro-style, these code sample apps are not listed in Windows App Cert Kit either.
    Tuesday, July 31, 2012 3:09 PM
  • Hi Leonard,

All of your Metro style apps should show up in the ACK. There were some problems with this on the Consumer Preview, but I thought they were fixed for RP.

Can you confirm that your sample apps show up if you call get-appxpackage in PowerShell:

PS C:\Users\Rob> Get-AppxPackage

Also make sure your app is deployed in release mode.

--Rob

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 6:48 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Leonard,

All of your Metro style apps should show up in the ACK. There were some problems with this on the Consumer Preview, but I thought they were fixed for RP.

Can you confirm that your sample apps show up if you call get-appxpackage in PowerShell:

PS C:\Users\Rob> Get-AppxPackage

Also make sure your app is deployed in release mode.

--Rob

My apps, together with some Windows 8 code sampe apps do show up in the output. I am not sure if they are deployed in release mode. I'll check this when I'm back to the office. By the way, I think to deploy a solution, just click the menu item "BUILD, Deploy". Am I correct?
    Wednesday, August 1, 2012 1:32 AM
  • I build the solution in release configuration and then deploy it. Both operation are successful. But my app is still not listed in Windows ACK. I do the same for some Windows 8 code sample apps and they are not listed either.
    Wednesday, August 1, 2012 4:12 AM
  • The Amazon Kindle and FreshPaint also show in the output of Get-AppxPackage and are not listed in Windows ACK.
    Wednesday, August 1, 2012 4:18 AM
  • Hi Leonard,

so we had an issue with the app cert kit if the install location was blank for one of the packages, then it wouldn't list all of the apps.  Could you send me the output of get-appxpackage e.g.

get-appxpackage > check.txt

Please send to mikewong at microsoft.com. 

thanks!

mike

Tuesday, August 7, 2012 12:08 AM
  • Thanks Mike, I've just sent the output to you. I forgot to mention that the last item in the output file is my application.
    • Edited by Leonard Tuesday, August 7, 2012 4:18 AM
    Tuesday, August 7, 2012 4:16 AM
  • I had this issue on Windows 8 release preview with VS2012 RC and left it unsolved (see this post http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/toolsforwinapps/thread/e878786a-3979-4c62-99cd-860b4502c2eb). Now I do a clean installation of Windows 8 RTM (90 days evaluation) and VS 2012 express for Windows 8, and unfortunately the issue is still there. I run get-appxpackage and find my app is in the output. Does any one else have the same experience?
    Sunday, August 26, 2012 8:35 AM